Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(No Fun at all) 'Norton Security Scan' hocum.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (No Fun at all) 'Norton Security Scan' hocum.

Hi Chaps- anyone familiar with Norton Security Scan monstrosity? it latched onto Microsoft Security Essentials antivirus I was trying to download on a fresh refurbished XP computer. I was tired & when going for the MSEssentials download I clicked on a non-kosher 'similar looking' download instead, then this wretched 'Norton Scan' latched on.. & cant simply be uninstalled.

I did then download Microsfit Security Essentials antivirus ok from the correct site, after trying in vain to stop the wrong'un installing as I saw it wasnt as intended.. but alas it seems even stopping that download this piggybacked scan continued to download of its own accord & is now firmly on my programs. Godammit.

So anyone know how on earth I remove it? (& Is it a scam, a virus, a 'malware' or what?).
    thanks Sea Chief.

Contact Norton and ask them?

If it is theirs they should know how to deal with it. if it is not theirs, it is some malware in their name and they are probably aware of it.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

If its a pestilant thing that cant be erased/ latches on w'out any knowledge of its even existance beforehand.. then surely it cant be affiliated to Norton- I think theyre a reputable Co arent they/ selling decent stuff? therefore it s pest/ malware thing (it looks like it) so they wouldnt be responsible for it... would they?

Im asking really on the lines of whether anyone else has come across it?

Comment

Download the program called: 'Hijack This'.

After you run the scan, it will identify every running program on your computer.

A tick mark in the box may allow HT to stop the process.

Then you can go into File Manager, find the program & delete it.

Comment

Thanks JP and Enzo for replies: Ive found the 'Hijack This' thingy in Q online/ will try it prob monday & report back.

Grateful as ever, Sea Chief

Comment

Sea Chief:

Let us know how it turns out! In the "closing the barn door once the cows have gotten out" category, it is recommended that you set a Restore point before installing anything. I rarely do that myself but some install programs will do that for you.

Steve

P.S. Downloading files from even supposedly legitimate sites has become a crap shoot. You are sent to a page with a half-dozen or more buttons screaming "Download me!" and only one of them is the one that you want to click. Good luck with that.

One software developer put a warning on his download page to ignore the buttons on the left hand side- the real button was below the paragraph.

On this topic I have noticed that a lot of the freeware downloads try to get you to agree to have a toolbar, etc., installed along with the program you want. Select Custom Install and you can usually opt out of that crap. However after clicking Next you might proceed to a window which will install a second load of crap, with Decline and Accept at the bottom.

Usually when you are presented with a Decline/Accept choice you need to click on Accept to proceed- the crap loaders are aware of this and hope that people will click on Accept. However if you Decline the crap you are not booted out of the install- you proceed to the next step which might have another load of crap that you need to Decline.
            The Blue Guitar
            www.blueguitar.org
            Some recordings:
            https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

I did a quick google search and found this.
              Is Norton Security Scan virus or malware? - Yahoo Answers
              Looks like a virus or malware.
              T

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2160127AAcat32
              Last edited by big_teee; 02-01-2014, 07:34 PM.
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

Gotta love that 'Toolbar Download'.

Comment

I got mine bundled with an Adobe Flash update, straight from the Adobe site, so I knew it might be annoying but not real bad.

Whenever I declined everything stopped, so I was left without Flash , the installer mangles the earlier version.
                  So after 3 tries, I let it in.

Not exactly malware, but as we say in Argentina: "as useless as an ashtray in a motorcycle" .

All it does is scan and tell you something trivial as 'you should get a better antivirus" or "browsing bad sites may get you an infection" , not much better advice than what Mom used to tell me when I was a teen and went to some sleazy place looking for fun.

And then they indirectly suggest some of their products may help.

Now I let it install together with Adobe upgrades, but erase it immediately after.
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Hi chaps-

sorry I forgot to reply to let you lnow how I got on. Well, I had all the info ready: this page bookmarked, other back-up sites in case no can do, dedicated a few hrs over at my elderly friends' hse to sort out. So whilst he was on I showed him what the nastyB'stard in Q was. "Oh that thing" he says.. and then he swiftly goes to programs > clicks on 'remove/ uninstall' (the same I had tried countless times / as I 'splained above).. "Oh yes well you just click on uninstall".. clicks on it.. and it f&kin unistalls. As easy as pie. "Its all very easy to me" he says, I'll show you if you want, look.." jeesusH! godamm fkin kpooters. Why? no idea. Did I look a tit? a size GG. He even snorted a chuckle to rub my snout in it. He's 85 & brand new to k'pooters!

Anyway the things fkd off- so thank goodness for that.

Much appreciate your help all the same chaps. Sea Chief

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post
                      Hi Chaps- anyone familiar with Norton Security Scan monstrosity? it latched onto Microsoft Security Essentials antivirus I was trying to download on a fresh refurbished XP computer. I was tired & when going for the MSEssentials download I clicked on a non-kosher 'similar looking' download instead, then this wretched 'Norton Scan' latched on.. & cant simply be uninstalled.

I did then download Microsfit Security Essentials antivirus ok from the correct site, after trying in vain to stop the wrong'un installing as I saw it wasnt as intended.. but alas it seems even stopping that download this piggybacked scan continued to download of its own accord & is now firmly on my programs. Godammit.

So anyone know how on earth I remove it? (& Is it a scam, a virus, a 'malware' or what?).
                      thanks Sea Chief.
                      There's something to learn here:
                      More than 80% of ALL "free security" on the internet is FAKE. Including "security scans."

It is designed to infect your system, and steal your personal information.

1. NEVER download "free security" from the internet. It's probably a scam. Including "security scans."

2. NEVER download FREE "tools" from the internet. Like "registry cleaner" or "spyware sweeper..." etc...

3. Use professional security ONLY. Not "free" security. You are just asking for it....

4. USE a highly rated security system such as Kaspersky, Norton, etc...you PAY for it, it's NOT free.

5. NEVER load multiple security programs, into your system. USE an "all-in-one" system from ONE manufacturer.
                      Multiple security systems create SYSTEM CONFLICTS. Listen to this or SUFFER.
                      See, you loaded MULTIPLE security systems. Bad Idea dude.

6. UPDATE the security. Professional systems UPDATE several times a day, automatically.

*Yes, there is three basic methods for getting rid of malware, fake security, etc...infections.*

A. System Restore - LOOK in the computer "system tools." It's included already right in XP, and other microsoft OS systems...
                      Open system Restore. Select a date, which is a date BEFORE the computer became infected. RUN system restore.
                      If system restore fails, select another DATE and run it again.
                      YOU may have to do this several times, with several dates, before you find a point which will work.

System Restore turns back the clock on the hard drive, to a time before the computer was infected. The infection will be GONE.

However, virus CAN disable system restore....you might get lucky.

B. Repair operating system-
                      Turn off all security and firewall.
                      Insert the Windows XP system disk into the drive. (or other system installation disk...)
                      Allow the disk to run...it will load temporary drivers.
                      Select: "repair XP"
                      This RELOADS the operating system, automatically, without erasing your programs, or files.

UPGRADE repair: same thing, load the disk, select UPGRADE. This again reloads the operating system without erasing your programs or files.
                      Works with windows 7 too.

C. Last resort:
                      Take out your hard drive.
                      Install the hard drive on another working computer.
                      Open the drive and move or copy your personal files, onto a backup drive. Such as, a memory stick, DVD, etc...
                      Reformat the entire drive, slow complete format. This erases the entire drive.
                      Reload the operating system onto the drive, from scratch.
                      Use your backup (above) to return your personal files to the drive.

DO NOT under any circumstances, download any "free tools" from the internet, which claim to: "fix problems."
                      You have been warned.

Microsoft Windows needs NO help from ANY other programs. DO NOT be fooled into thinking otherwise.
                      The windows installation disk can FIX ANY problem, correctly.
                      You DO NOT need to install ANY external "helper" "add on" to fix a problem.

Comment

That is not how system restore works. It restores settings (registry), not files. If malware was installed as a program, then a restore point will have been created, but most malware is not installed that way.
                        For a real "restore", you will need a full set of back-up discs of the entire hard drive.
                        More info here: Can System Restore Remove a Virus. - Microsoft Community
                        and here:
                        windows - Can system restore remove virus from the computer? - Super User
                        Originally posted by Enzo
                        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I'm just amazed, that more of you real computer guys don't go on a windoz free diet.
                          You will be able to just use your computer, instead of worrying about malware and viruses all the time.
                          There is a ton of wonderful easy to use free linux distros out there, and Bill Gates, McAfee, and Norton don't make a dime off of any of them!
                          T
                          http://distrowatch.com/
                          Last edited by big_teee; 02-10-2014, 06:39 PM.
                          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                          Terry

Comment

You are both wise old birds, so I will take on board what you say- thanks for the input there soundguruman esp.

Well I guess as it unistalled so p'easily after not allowing me to many times, that sounds quite fishy.. but fingers crossed & it wont worm its way in & steal all the silver. He says "Id never use internet for banking" & hed never even create an account on amazon for eg with his card no's on (such is his nervousness/ he doesnt trust this new 'internet' you see). He really just views wikipedia's history stuff "its marvellous Ive been here, then to there.." bbc news and a shares graph/ numbers site, then back to wikiP! so he's not got anything to steal tbh.

Thanks chaps- SC

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                              I'm just amazed, that more of you real computer guys don't go on a windoz free diet.
                              Sometimes there are underlying circumstances Tee. My dad has used windows going back to whenever it came out, (or the Tandy 1000, whichever came first )
                              I have to share computers and keep him up and running. Sticking with windows is the path of least resistance for me .

P.S. Going back to windows 95, and being a 'net user since netscape, I have yet to have malware or virus issues. Have only ever used free antivirus, I just try to use common sense about "cyber hygiene". Have had more issues with problems due to norton or mcaffee or removal of them.
                              Originally posted by Enzo
                              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                              X