Crate GX140C schematic needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whew.
    I can't make heads or tails out of that info.
    Sorry.

How about injecting the signal Into the input jack?
    Then measure the TP's with a meter.

Comment

See post #6

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
      Whew.
      I can't make heads or tails out of that info.
      Sorry.

How about injecting the signal Into the input jack?
      Then measure the TP's with a meter.

Comment

Power amps work. You have nothing when injecting signal at TP8 of preamp.
        That leaves page 2 of the preamp schematic.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g-one View Post
          Power amps work. You have nothing when injecting signal at TP8 of preamp.
          That leaves page 2 of the preamp schematic.
          If I'm reading the schematic correctly, the issue should be on the first page because I can put a signal into that J2 TRS INSERT jack and can get throughput to both amps. The problem should be upstream of that, right?

Comment

TP8 is the end of the first page. So the problem must be after it.
            Look at the second page. The point called OT is TP8.
            There is a J2 insert shown on page 2 of preamp, and also a J2 on power amp schematic.
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

O/k, I read Post #6.

I don't know if you followed the prescribed control settings.

If you did, the test readings that you have do not agree with the chart.
              Tp1: A & B are good. C fails low.
              Tp2: A & B fail low. C is good.
              Tp3: A & B fail low. C fails high.

I would get the front end straightened out.

Comment

If you mean the TEST POINT CONDITIONS from the schematic, then yes I worked using those control parameters.

Comment

Well then, It appears that it is failing at the beginning of the circuit.

Do you have any spare opamps?

Comment

Nope, but I'm ordering some in the morning. Thanks JPB!

Comment

Your injection has to be appropriate. if you inject 60mv of signal where the amp is expecting several volts, then of course you will hear nothing.

If you cannot inject a signal at TP8, then the rest of the first page is irrelevant, TP8 has no idea where the signal comes from it just passes it along - or should.

And remember that mute at TP8? And how it was controlled by the input jack shunt contact? REgardless of where you inject a signal, you still MUST have something plugged into the input jack to unmute the TP8 stage.

But assuming we have no action after TP8, it was said the problem must be on page 2, but you said no because the insert jack works. OK, but there are two components on page 2 before the signal path gets to the jack. It may be just two small parts, but they ARE on page 2. But I am betting you had an empty input jack for those tests.
                      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                        ...But I am betting you had an empty input jack for those tests.
                        And you are correct.

With a jack in the input, I am still unable to get throughput from TP8 (pin 7), but I can hear the tone when I inject the signal to pin 6 of IC4. Nothing at any other pin of IC4 and nothing at TP7 with the injected signal.

IC4: With the multimeter, I measure ~14.5 VDC at pin 8 and ~-14.0 VDC at pin 7. At pin 4 there is -16.1 VDC.

I can measure ~14 VDC across both R37 and R38.

Comment

Then you have trouble at IC4. either the IC is bad or Q25 is shorted source to gate.
                          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Tone Meister View Post
                            I am still unable to get throughput from TP8 (pin 7), but I can hear the tone when I inject the signal to pin 6 of IC4.
                            Could someone please explain how this is possible? Signal can be heard if signal is injected to the input of IC4 (pin6), but is not heard if signal is injected at the output of IC4 (pin7) ?

Comment

I wondered too, but ultimately he has DC on the op amp out, so it has to go anyway.

My rationalization might be that the chip is slammed over, but still has gain to smash itself against the stuck output leg. And that becomes audible... or something.

Comment

Yeah, also remember that I have the reverb send and return cables connected together with a barrel connector. Could the signal be seeping back into the reverb mix because of that?

Comment

Working...
                                X