Power rating for Inductors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power rating for Inductors

I want to build a notch filter to smooth out the resonant freq of a horn in a midcab i built. The crossover is rated at 400w and the hf driver has a rating
    of 80w. I have used the notch filter calc at Lalena.com and i got an LCR
    of:

L=1.36 mH
    C=54.6 uF
    R=6.1 Ohms

Ive built a couple of things before but have not much experience with inductors. The inductors ive found at mouser dont show a max watt rating.
    What power rating should i look for? What Voltage rating should i use on the 54.6 uF Cap?

If this is part of the crossover, then it must handle the voltages and currents of the speakers and amp. That all depends upon power levels.

I wouldn't have looked at Mouser for these parts, so I don't know what they have. Parts Express has a pretty good selection of crossover parts.

But rather than this brute force method, why not just get a basic graphic EQ and insert it before the power amp? Or a parametric?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

This is part of a speaker system in a single enclosure . It is a 15" x horn midcab. Next up will be a 18" bass bin. I'll check out parts express .

Comment

Why not just move the crossover point?
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

The speaker cabs are built ,loaded and the (nonadjustable) crossover is installed.
          I used componants recomended by Eminences tech expert and i built the cab according to the formula given for that woofer by Eminence. The whole thing sounds good but needs some tweaking in the midrange. Lalena.com says i need a notch filter to cut the frequencies that are listed on the spec sheet of the horn as the "resonant frequency". BTW a Parts Express tech told me that the parts in an LCR circuit will only get a portion of the wattage that the horn gets. He said a 12w would work.

Comment

Let me get this right, you're trying to use a horn tweeter below its resonant frequency? That's probably not such a good idea because too much LF energy could burn it out.

Normally the crossover point should be a good octave above the resonance. What crossover point does the maker of the horn recommend? and what crossover point are you actually using?
            "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

No, I'm running the tweet @ 1.6K . I have read that you can or should smooth out the midrange responce of the horn at the resonance frequency with a notch filter . Several websites have calculators to figure your LCR values based on the resonance frequency and impedance. However,
              Ive opened up a couple of brand name cabs and i'm not seeing alot of tone shaping circuits, just crossovers.

Comment

Working...
              X