(Understanding) Resistance (specs) Is Futile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Understanding) Resistance (specs) Is Futile

All's I wanted to do was purchase some resistors from Mouser Electronics. I get half a million options. Too much knowledge is not beneficial in this instance.

For the purposes of amp construction what should I look for in a resistor? This is what I know or think I know-

700 volt over voltage, metal film ½ W for most circuit applications. The higher power values I recognize and understand applications of.

A link to a Mouser part or otherwise would be good. I'm using Mouser this time to begin understanding their ordering system for future purposes.

Peace da Resistance',

Silverfox.

The thing to do is get rid of parameters. If we get to pages of resistors, it will tell you there are a million selections. If you always make sure the "stocked" box is checked, that will cut it in half right there. WHo care what they can order, we need to know what they have on hand. Always check the "smart filtering" or whatever they call it, so it will turn off things that don;t help for you. If I know I am searching for 1/2w, then check that right away. What you do is click the "apply filters" button each time so it establishes the latest starting point, otherwise you have to go back and enter all the other parameters too. SO once I have "applied" 1/2W and metal film, then only those should be in your search parameter box at top. Now if I select a value of resistance, I can hit backup and still have that limited field instead of starting from scratch.

You probably do not need milspec parts, so in choices like temperature, don;t check the -40 to +200 option.

And accuracy - 1% resistors are now cheap, but mostly in a guitar amp 5% is just fine, and evn if it doesn't save much money, it narrows your search to select a tolerance.

And you are not married to the search feature. If i am looking for a variety of some thing, I can pick an example, then click on the "catalog page" and see the catalog. Now all the options are there listed, so I need not search out each item, I can just go down the list on the catalog page.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks Enzo. I ended up bagging the Mouser site and using AES. I'll try your suggestions next time. Is there a parts source you would recommend besides AES? Most of the other guitar amp parts sources do not carry a variety and I understand why.

Silverfox.

Comment

My suggestion is to learn to use Mouser.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Mouser has been my first go to place for years mainly because they almost always have it in stock. I love their projects function and I use it to amass complete amp builds, not just a few parts here and there. When Mouser fails me, which is not often, I go to Allied, Newark or Digikey to fill in the gaps. I do use AES for my tube specific parts like sockets and the like as well as some other suppliers like Tube Depot, Triad or direct to the manufacturers sometimes but that can get a bit tricky.

Mouser was started by an electronics teacher tired of trying to buy parts for his students class projects, he wanted a place where you could buy single parts or small project orders and they still maintain that flexibility to this day. Sure their real bread and butter is large industrial orders but they don't forget the little guy like so many other have. I've paid them a visit when passing through Dallas one time and they were as friendly as could be... quite an operation there.

I feel Enzo is right on the money with this, Mouser should be your first stop for parts... they will usually have it in stock ready to go.

One other little thing to consider is the authenticity of parts. With Mouser I have no concerns of picking up some MJ15003/4's only to find they are counterfeit salvaged and relabeled 2N3055's. Yes, electronic components are counterfeited, a lot, there's money in that and places like eBay are rife with counterfeit semiconductors and passive components like capacitors as well as other less reputable places.
          Last edited by Sowhat; 02-05-2014, 08:07 AM.
          ... That's $1.00 for the chalk mark and $49,999.00 for knowing where to put it!

Comment

I always order from Digikey. Their site is easy to use, ultra fast shipping. I looked at Mouser, it's more confusing. I don't have to learn how to search in Digikey, everything is right infront of you. You use filter to narrow down to the accuracy, wattage, resistor material, lead/surface mount, package........................Everything right in front of you.

Comment

Working...
            X