SWR SM-900 replacement fan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWR SM-900 replacement fan?

I have a very noisy fan in this SWR SM-900 on the bench.
    Can anyone recommend a replacement?
    I have also emailed SWR/Fender to see if they have anything.
    Stickers inside say 1998, if that helps or makes a difference.
    A picture of the fan, inside the amp is attached.
    Attached Files

You plan to replace the fan, so it has to come out anyway. So try this first. Remove the fan, take notes on how it is mounted so you can get it back together right. On the hub of the side now hidden, there should be a label that tells the voltage it runs on. 120vAC or 12vDC or 24v DC or whatever. Looks like a low voltage fan to me, and check the schematic. That is what you will want. Then measure the fan, they are sold by size, usually in centimeters or millimeters, but some are in inches. Note the thickness as well. Also look on the side, there is usually an arrow pointing in the direction of air flow, you want any new fan to blow air the same direction. Mouser and similar places will have a zillion fans. A fan might be the sort of thing to check at Jameco for. And if you have a favorite surplus outlet, check there.

The data sheet on a fan ought to include a noise level, but be aware, many of the lower noise ones also move less air, so the cfm - cubic feet per minute - rating is important, you don;t want a new fan moving less air

HOWEVER:
    before you go shopping, peel off that center label. That exposes the center hub of the thing. Put a drop or two of really light oil on that and see if the fan quiets down. That may be all you need.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

That was just the push I needed to take it apart.
      Label says: Nidec Beta V TA300DC, model M33407-16, 24Vdc, 180mA, in case anyone searches for this later.
      Seem to be easily obtainable.

Thanks Enzo! The drop of oil was unsuccessful, so I'll go grab a replacement now.

Comment

That's funny - I have exactly the same problem. I know the type of the fan, it seems to be the same but the fan that I have has 4 wires. Two additional wires are used for connecting a thermistor. I couldn't find a replacement fan. But for the moment a drop of oil has helped. I'm still looking for a replacement with a thermistor.

Mark

Comment

Working...
        X