Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peavey Bandit 65 mods, anyone have any good mods?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0
    I took apart a MXR distortion + in 1990 and built a clone from that so hopefully I still have some of those old germaniums laying around to try... Of course there is always EBay... I was thinking that the MXR distortion + was actually a good pedal, too bad no one ever re-engineered it to make a better Distortion +... or maybe they did and I just didn't know they did...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 54/0
    Given: 21/0
    Quote Originally Posted by J M Fahey View Post
    Any germanium you can get will do.

And I doubt any are made anymore, last batch (say, from 1980 something) will still last years or decades, given the level of consumption.

So all should actually be NOS, even if not so labelled.
    I have no idea if germanium diodes are still in production, but a LOT of research using germanium in semiconductors is going on at the university level, primarily involving a mixture of silicon and germanium.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,881/23
    Given: 1,463/35
    Quote Originally Posted by Slobrain View Post
    I took apart a MXR distortion + in 1990 and built a clone from that so hopefully I still have some of those old germaniums laying around to try... Of course there is always EBay... I was thinking that the MXR distortion + was actually a good pedal, too bad no one ever re-engineered it to make a better Distortion +... or maybe they did and I just didn't know they did...
    Oh, they did go on ... but you know Guitar players are so stubborn and absolutely refuse to use anything if [insert Guitar God Name here] didn't use itbefore.
    No kidding.

Here's the very good MXR Distortion II :

but by then the Japanese broom had swept the American pedals away.

The last nail in the coffin was that many Guitar Gods did use Japanese pedals, as we all know.

EDIT: here's Distortion 3 .

It heavily borrows from Japanese, (think Boss) : the typical single bipolar transistor input buffer and the Tube Screamer type tone control.

Last edited by J M Fahey; 03-08-2015 at 07:28 PM.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Thumbs Up/Down
    Hi Slobrain,
    As you already said, eBay is your friend. That is where I get all my weird electronics components.

BTW, hooked up the bandit pre-amp to the power amp input of an old PV Classic VT 212 that I am repairing today. Sounded damned good.

Cheers,

iep

Thumbs Up/Down
    I bet that distortion II would sound better with a redesign removing the resonance and filter and adding a bass-mid-treble type eq to it. Cool looking pedal... I still have 2 Ibanez Distortion chargers from the late 80s. Waiting for the prices to go thru the roof to sell them on Ebay... they are good sounding pedals but I just don't use them any more... Sort of like a higher gain tubescreamer, kinda Van Halenish too.

Senior Member Silvertone Jockey's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Given: 1/0
    I just received these 10x GE 1N60 Germanium Diodes NOS Fuzz Guitar Pedal Effects Crystal Radio NTE110A $5.99

10x GE 1N60 Germanium Diodes Fuzz Guitar Pedal Effects Crystal Radio NTE110A | eBay

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,881/23
    Given: 1,463/35
    Quote Originally Posted by Slobrain View Post
    I bet that distortion II would sound better with a redesign removing the resonance and filter and adding a bass-mid-treble type eq to it. Cool looking pedal... I still have 2 Ibanez Distortion chargers from the late 80s. Waiting for the prices to go thru the roof to sell them on Ebay... they are good sounding pedals but I just don't use them any more... Sort of like a higher gain tubescreamer, kinda Van Halenish too.
    Same here.

Both mods to original pedal make it bass heavy .... way too much.

Filter comes straight from RAT ... with the difference it does not have the RAT pre distortion high boost, and resonance stinks of trying to give kids with small amps the chest pounding only a 4x12" has .

Both will make it muddy and farty.

Now if you set both controls off, pedal becomes a distortion+ on steroids.

I remember a similar pedal, think was the TC Electronics version, which was basically the same but very well made, and included a compensated XLR out, so it could be carried in the gig pack as a backup and worst case plugged straight into PA with very acceptable results, and using any crappy amp available as onstage monitor.
    Cool pedal.

Juan Manuel Fahey

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,413/21
    Given: 1,196/0
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvertone Jockey View Post
    I just received these 10x GE 1N60 Germanium Diodes NOS Fuzz Guitar Pedal Effects Crystal Radio NTE110A $5.99
    These days that's an excellent price. Ge are a bit sensitive to heat. Good idea to use heatsink clilp when soldering-in.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 2/0
    I used to own a Peavey Bandit 50w that sounded pretty good back in the day (mid to late 80s). I would set it clean and used stompboxes to get a good sound. The PA carried it the rest of the way. It got stolen and I never saw it again. But once you go to a tube amp, you'll never go back (in live applications). Here are my amps over the past 3 decades in chronological order: Peavey Bandit, Peavey Century, Marshall Valvestate vs100, Marshall JCM2000 dsl100 (sold it, and I'll guess most of you know why), Soldano SL-60, Fender Prosonic combo, Peavey classic 30, Peavey classic VTX, and a Marshall Vintage Modern 2466. Tube amps just sound better, especially when you turn them up. A solid state amp will break down and sound muddy when you crank it. One thing I have to give to the old Peaveys is that they were built to last forever. The old circuit boards were flexible. I'm sure someone out there is enjoying my once old faithful workhorse!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Hi. Just wanted to thank you iep for sharing that dope mod you made on the Bandit 65. I have almost followed every steps except for C18 wich appeared to already be 33nF on my board plus I also replaced all other electrolytic capacitors by new ones.
    The amp sounds far better now, got a little more crontrol on the whole volume boost but mostly as you said it now "sparkles" more than it yells.
    I use this amp along with my recently retunned Rhodes stage piano I am actually learning playing on. I could not offer that holly grail Fender Twin Reverb for now so I went with this Bandit 65 that used to belong to my father and it sounded no so bad soon as you didn't push distortion stage.
    Most issues that appeared to my ears are now gone with your mod, more clarity when pushing highs instead of high-mids yelling, basses seam a little more rounded, less compressed I would say, Lovely for a solid state amp. I am still running with the Scorpion speaker in it but I guess the next step will be speaker swapping. Once again thanks a lot for this great mod mister !!

Thumbs Up/Down
    I like the Legend V128 in the newer "Red Stripe" Bandit.

Twobie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Hey IEP, I know this is an old thread, but I am really interested in the mods you have listed but I am having a hard time understanding what you mean by bridging clipping diodes 5&6 with a capacitor to ground? Sorry I am kind of new at this and don't want to screw up my amp, so could u please explain to me exactly which 2 points are being connected with the 2 legs of the capacitor? Very much appreciated, and anxiously awaiting your response!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 427/0
    Given: 1,149/1
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderdog View Post
    Hey IEP, I know this is an old thread, but I am really interested in the mods you have listed but I am having a hard time understanding what you mean by bridging clipping diodes 5&6 with a capacitor to ground? Sorry I am kind of new at this and don't want to screw up my amp, so could u please explain to me exactly which 2 points are being connected with the 2 legs of the capacitor? Very much appreciated, and anxiously awaiting your response!
    iep hasn't posted in almost 4 years. Doesn't mean they won't drop in from time to time! You might want to start a new thread requesting such mods, get a few fresh ideas tossed at you. Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,826/7
    The diodes are already grounded at the one end. SO put a cap in parallel with them, and one end will be grounded as well. So essentially, just stick the cap in parallel with one of the diodes.

Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Twobie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Thank you, Enzo! Very much appreciate the help. My first instinct was to do it just like that, but then I kept second guessing myself and was worried about messing something up, so I just had to ask to be sure. Glad to hear I was on the right track!

Thread Information