New Mojo winder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zparts View Post
    Maybe if there was enough interest and everyone thought it was worth the money, I could have these multiple mount mandrel discs custom made and offer them as an upgrade to the basic one that comes with the machine.
    Don't make them on my account.
    I have everything I need.
    Also we have Bruce Johnson on here that is a pro machinist, and he will make us all kind of stuff like that reasonable.
    A lot of the guys use his multi mounting faceplate.
    I have all the stuff to make what ever kind of bar I need.
    T
    Last edited by big_teee; 04-03-2014, 02:15 AM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

$100 for a few extra holes??? Am I the only one that finds this a bit crazy? I'm no machinist, but I have drilled and tapped metal before and it wasn't hard to do at all. Are we talking about a difference based on pre-made vs. custom-made parts?

Comment

Originally posted by rhgwynn View Post
        $100 for a few extra holes??? Am I the only one that finds this a bit crazy? I'm no machinist, but I have drilled and tapped metal before and it wasn't hard to do at all. Are we talking about a difference based on pre-made vs. custom-made parts?
        I'm no machinest but like anything, there is always a reason for the cost. We certainly are shocked at how much things cost too.

Comment

I'm not a machinist either, but I do have a milling machine in the shop and I can say that the thought of building a precision mounting plate (say like the one on the CNCDudez CNC winder) is not a cheap or as inaccurate as drilling and tapping a couple holes. $100 would be a deal if someone wanted one.
          Take Care,

Jim. . .
          VA3DEF

Comment

It definitely looks like a nice sturdy machine ,As for the off centered humbucker mounting .it's pretty easy to make a usable mount if you can remove that center machine screw .
            "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Take my plans for my faceplate & locally go get a Quote .

Drilling & Tapping is easy ,Having the holes exactly where you want them is the tricky part .
              Last edited by copperheadroads; 04-03-2014, 01:16 PM. Reason: Stupid wireless keyboards gots to go !!!!!
              "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

..The cost to have them made would have raised the price of each unit by at least $100. I figured best to go with the more basic mounting jig that would work for most allowing the user to make their own jigs for anything else.
                Fair enough. I like your machine, and you were gracious enough to post some nice high res pictures for me. When I saw how you had the bobbins mounted, my first thought was "he can't be serious".

It's not that tough to make mounting jigs. I don't mind, but other's might not want to deal with it.

Comment

I've figured out what works best for me is a slot for the sides of the bobbin that grip it pretty snugly. It's much more secure than tape and much quicker in and out than a screw. Having the flatwork completely recessed into the faceplate works really well for me.
                  If you're going to have a faceplate custom machined anyway I'd take the flatwork you intend to use and ask them to inlay it to a light press fit. Don't forget to have them do the slots for the protruding rods on Fender style pickups. A faceplate could easily carry 3 different bobbins with each 120º apart.

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                    Take my plans for my faceplate & locally go get a quite .

Drilling & Tapping is easy ,Having the holes exactly where you want them is the tricky part .
                    Now THAT is a mounting plate!
                    Take Care,

Jim. . .
                    VA3DEF

Comment

I cut and drilled a new face plate bar.
                      It will take the screw in the middle for fender flatwork.
                      I tapped screw holes for 49, 50, and 53mm Humbuckers.
                      I used the thick plexi bar stock, I had.
                      T
                      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                        I cut and drilled a new face plate bar.
                        It will take the screw in the middle for fender flatwork.
                        I tapped screw holes for 49, 50, and 53mm Humbuckers.
                        I used the thick plexi bar stock, I had.
                        T
                        Pics?

Comment

Not much to look at, just a bunch of drilled and tapped plexiglass plastic.
                          T
                          Terry

Comment

It took me all day Jacking Around with the Fabricating the new parts, but finally just wound a humbucker bobbin.
                            It worked slick, had a few file, and grind here moments, but finally gotter done!
                            I made a bar that covers the complete top of the humbucker bobbin, and most of the bottom is covered.
                            That eliminates the flared bobbins, even winding snugly.
                            I've always liked tight bobbins and flaring has always been something I had to watch for.
                            I'll try to get some pics, but not tonight!
                            T
                            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                              It has a Powerfull 24 volt Variable Speed Motor, and the Machine uses a planatary gear system, so there is no belts.
                              How loud is it? Does it sound like a variable speed hand drill?
                              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

It has a distinct sound, reminds me of Grandmas 60s Singer sewing machine.
                                It has really sped me up.
                                I also stand corrected, this one winds both directions.
                                Although I do prefer winding on the top, It does fine bottom going.
                                I raised it up some on the desk which helps me see the bottom better.
                                I timed it, and winds about 1100 rpms.
                                The auto shutoff feature is great.
                                Set it and forget it!
                                I like that it has a small foot print, and requires very little space.
                                T
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X