X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
    Here is a screenshot of my Desktop..
    [/ATTACH]
    Ok so hang on, you are using Firefox I see. But what too, XP? (afaict Firefox is a browser, and XP is an OS.. so I cant see the reason for the post).

Comment

Even if you stay with a Windoz Box, you can download a free version of LibreOffice Office Suite.
      If you don't have Office give this a try.
      SGM may not like it, it is free.
      But, he admitted to using Firefox, and it is free.
      https://www.libreoffice.org/
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post
        Ok so hang on, you are using Firefox I see. But what too, XP? (afaict Firefox is a browser, and XP is an OS.. so I cant see the reason for the post).
        Where do you get XP?
        ** That is the name of the post on my firefox browser, on this forum.
        I have no windows OS in my house.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Here is a screenshot of the System.
          It says Linux Mint 16 Mate.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2014-02-17 12:00:20.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	832486
          Terry

Comment

Where did I get XP?

It was installed on the lpc when I bought it.

Im so confused here. The office thing has my brain near meltdown/ I dont understand. I need to go back to square 1. Apologies.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know if XP will work when it 'ends' on April 8 if I do something, add something, or change something?

Comment

Sorry if I confused you.
              I thought you read XP on my Screenshot on the bottom of the page.
              It said XP, That was the name of the this thread.
              Just wanted you to see the similarities in the desktop setup.
              And, it's free.
              Good Luck,
              T
              Terry

Comment

The problem IS XP itself, On the Internet.

I also have one computer running XP, because of older software & hardware.

But, I do not get on the Internet with it.

Microsoft changed the whole 'security apparatus' of the operating sytem when they came out with Vista.

I'll say it again.

XP is too easy to hack.

Whether or not you have ever had Internet issues or not is not the point.

Can you say Botnet.

Comment

Sorry if I confused you.
                  I thought you read XP on my Screenshot on the bottom of the page.
                  It said XP, That was the name of the this thread.
                  Just wanted you to see the similarities in the desktop setup.
                  And, it's free.
                  Good Luck,
                  T
                  Hi Big_teee. I did indeed read XP on the tab at the btm of the page of yours there, but it is my title of this thread. I cannot see XP anywhere else. This implies only that the tab/ window's title is XP; I scoured every bit of the 2 images, but couldnt see what OS it was at all (so I couldnt see why/ what the point exactly of it being posted).

All I could deduce from these pics is that firefox is used as a browser. Im so confused.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                    The problem IS XP itself, On the Internet.

I also have one computer running XP, because of older software & hardware.

But, I do not get on the Internet with it.

Microsoft changed the whole 'security apparatus' of the operating sytem when they came out with Vista.

I'll say it again.

XP is too easy to hack.

Whether or not you have ever had Internet issues or not is not the point.

Can you say Botnet.
                    Ok I will assume it will work, but some may advise that it is not safe because of the updates not being present anymore.

But that leaves the Q: can it work with somethinig added in order to overcome the updates not being present, such as an antivirus software or something. From the info Ive read concurrent to this thread it seems this is one idea (but maybe this applies solely to business users or something Im not quite sure).

Or do I think solely on a new OS entirely. This leaves the Qs Ive been trying to ask: what is the next nearest thing? is it free? what exactly is it in appearance (some cd's?).

Comment

Hi Big_teee. I did indeed read XP on the tab at the btm of the page of yours there, but it is my title of this thread. I cannot see XP anywhere else. This implies only that the tab/ window's title is XP; I scoured every bit of the 2 images, but couldnt see what OS it was at all (so I couldnt see why/ what the point exactly of it being posted).

All I could deduce from these pics is that firefox is used as a browser. Im so confused.
                      I have that effect on folks sometimes!
                      My pics are of my Mint 16 desktop.
                      I was just trying to show how similar it looks to Your Windows XP, and show it as an alternative to MS Windows.
                      Was trying to stress how easy it is to run, and it looks like all the other stuff.
                      Except it is running on Unix, or Linux Code.
                      That is all I was trying to show, Not confusion.
                      T
                      Last edited by big_teee; 02-17-2014, 05:58 PM.
                      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by guitician View Post
                        The Internet is the only thing driving new OS's. If your using a PC "stand alone" it can be run as it was out of the box just fine. I have a dual boot win98/XP box that I use because the software only runs on those OS's and they doi just what they were designed to do, off the Internet
                        I agree! I call that the "appliance model" for computing. Many modern appliances have some sort of on-board computer- there might be an occasional firmware upgrade available once in a blue moon but its not like they issue patches on a daily basis like Windows.

If you have your computer set up so it works well with the programs you use then leave it alone! Turn off updates but it is better to not even connect it to the internet (unless there is a patch that you absolutely need and can't download it from a different computer.)

This is particularly applicable to an older Windows computer set up as a DAW (digital audio workstation) since it can be really tricky getting everything to work right in the first place (no clicks, no pops, no problems with latency, no unusual restrictions on the number of tracks.)

In the past I have used KVM boxes to connect two computers to one monitor, one keyboard and one mouse. (Newer boxes include audio but I'd just connect separate speakers to the separate computers.) I haven't looked into KVM boxes in recentl years so there could be compatibility problems between computers with dedicated keyboard and mouse ports and those which use USB. Not to mention the possible compatibility problem between an older computer with a VGA output and a newer monitor with DVI ports.

Steve

EDIT: Here is KVM/DVI box available at Newegg for less than $100. Not very good reviews but it'll give someone an idea of what to look for from other vendors.

NeweggBusiness - LINKSKEY LDV-242AUSK 2-Port DVI USB Compact Audio & Mic & Hub KVM Switch w/ Cables
                        Last edited by Steve A.; 02-17-2014, 05:58 PM.
                        The Blue Guitar
                        www.blueguitar.org
                        Some recordings:
                        https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Ok let me get my head around this. Is 'Mint 16' an Operating System then?

Comment

Ok let me get my head around this. Is 'Mint 16' an Operating System then?
                            Yes.
                            You can read about it here.
                            DistroWatch.com: Linux Mint
                            There are several different versions.
                            a 32 bit for older, and 64 bit for newer systems.
                            Terry

Comment

I have that effect on folks sometimes!
                              My pics are of my Mint 16 desktop.
                              I was just trying to show how similar it looks to Your Windows XP.
                              Was trying to stress how easy it is to run, and it looks like all the other stuff.
                              Except it is running on Unix, or Linux Code.
                              That is all I was trying to show, Not confusion.
                              T
                              Ok let me get my head around this. Is 'Mint 16' an Operating System then? (I cannot cope with "Linux Code or Unix" if they are other things to Operating Systems).

I just need clarificqtion on an alternative to XP. If one is advised, could it be labelled (OS) please? or the two hemispheres of my head will part and some sort of vortex-of-stupidity will ensue & I will invert & my anus will go in 1st.

Comment

Ok let me get my head around this. Is 'Mint 16' an Operating System then? (I cannot cope with "Linux Code or Unix" if they are other things to Operating Systems).

I just need clarificqtion on an alternative to XP. If one is advised, could it be labelled (OS) please? or the two hemispheres of my head will part and some sort of vortex-of-stupidity will ensue & I will invert & my anus will go in 1st.
                                You may not be a good candidate for linux.
                                I figured if you were loading computers you might.
                                So you can forget Linux for now if you want.
                                I like to throw it out there to remind folks it is available and it is free.
                                But, You have to know how to format and load hard drives, and you may not be ready to do that.
                                I will leave you alone now! lol
                                GL
                                T
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X