• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
    New Years Resolution.
    I am not going to read his posts.
    I know I will feel better.
    A. Inserting tubes, two at a time, is a good method to find a bad socket or a bad tube.
    Do you want to dispute that?

B. Screen grid resistors were changed to 1 watt, for more reliable operation.

C. Plugging a bad tube into a socket may blow the (old style 1/8 watt) screen grid resistor.

D. The bias will only operate correctly with 6 good tubes.
    Do you wanna dispute that?

E. A bad output tube causes the protection to shut the amp down.

The truth is, you can roll your eyes all you want.
    The statements I made were all true statements.

Using this information I provided, these amps can usually be fixed.

F. The design of Chinese SVT and SLM SVT is not the same as real Ampeg SVT.
    Want to dispute that?

The reality of this is that you probably can't dispute any of it. It is all factual.

Comment

Originally posted by soundguruman View Post
      It's all TRUE, it's all Factual, it's all verifiable.
      I've been trying to verify that SVTs are made in China, but can't find anything other than myth or opinion. The only concrete references I can find are they're made in S. Korea and Vietnam. What period were they made in China?

Comment

Mick...I have only repaired a few of these amps and they were all made in Korea...at least the few that I have worked on...There are probably not enough of them around here to find one made in China or actually made in the USA either before or after the Magnavox takeover...so I wouldn't know the differences....
        Cheers,
        Bernie
        P.S....if you do find any differences, I would be very interested.....
        Last edited by bsco; 02-23-2014, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Some of the most entertaining are posts about whacked out, garbage internet rumor passed off as essential wisdom.Unfortunately much of it enters the internet world of "proven fact" and makes the world a little bit less informed each day.

Speaking of Magnavox, it had two reputations, one as a mid line consumer electronics of radios TV and co-developer of the laser disk and CD, but also for high quality military communications systems. It was started by Peter Jensen who invented the dynamic speaker. Any history buffs from North California knows his history since he based in Napa California before it became known elsewhere for high quality wines.

Comment

3. I was an Ampeg USA repair Center, before YOU were born. Remember that, " Mr. Johnny Come Lately."
            How is it that the phrase "you young whippersnapper" was left out of that post???

I'm glad that I've been reading this thread. Now some things are becoming clearer to me. I was wrong to think that SGM was an outspoken idiot. Now it's evident to me that he's just a senile old coot.
            "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

bob, I think you are wrong. I think he's a senile old coot AND an outspoken idiot.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Serving and being served; folds in the same cloth.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                  I've been trying to verify that SVTs are made in China, but can't find anything other than myth or opinion. The only concrete references I can find are they're made in S. Korea and Vietnam. What period were they made in China?
                  Mick, production of the SVT-CL was moved to China in October of 2012 (along with the 3Pro, 4Pro, and SVT-VR). Probably before you were born.

Comment

A lot of them were made in China.
                    Many prior to 2012.
                    I remember quite a lot of China SVTs following the end of Saint Louis Music. Way before 2012.
                    Last edited by soundguruman; 02-24-2014, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bsco View Post
                      Hey Leo...I have a few people I would like to do that to....and I'd like to take that Behringer and Line 6 junk and drop that out the window as well...I never knew Magnavox made Ampegs...there is a lot about the music gear and companies that I do not know....that is why I come here to post questions and get some sound advice...of course every now and then the posts do take a small detour...I agree with you about the aching back....these things weigh a ton...Isn't the V4 amp heavy like the SVT?? For what it is worth, I feel that** original** relates to the company that had started the brand...Leo Fender's original amps were started by him...After he was bought out and driven into exile, every amp made after that is not an original Fender....the same would apply to other manufactures....and I guess if GM was bought out by another manufacturer(and it doesn't have to be a car manufacturer), then the cars made after that point are no longer made by the original manufacturer.......however, they might be just as good...they might be better....or they could be worse...so I guess the correct statement here is that ***The original brand name that was manufactured by the original company would be the original product***after that, once they have been bought out, that is where the **Originality **ends...if you want to get technical....there might be some people here that will not agree with my statement..but that's ok.......But guys, I have to say...I learn much from all of you...even if at times the threads go out of wack...keep up the good work.....It is much appreciated........
                      Cheers,
                      Bernie
                      "I never knew Magnavox made Ampegs.."

Behold, the REAL Ampeg. Made in USA.
                      1. ANY part you wanted, ANY time you needed it. Especially Transformers*.
                      2. Shock absorbers on the circuit boards.
                      3. Blows 2 output tubes, in the middle of your show, AND keeps right on playing.
                      4. COMPLETE schematics. all you had to do was ask.

Quite a difference from Chinese imitation.

But most of you wouldn't know that. It was before you were born.

--senile old coot

* Yeah, I bought the last, REAL, Ampeg SVT output transformer from Magnavox.
                      There are no more now.
                      Last edited by soundguruman; 02-24-2014, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                        Yes, it would be hard to put a travel lock on an SVT reverb, because it is a bass amp and has no reverb.
                        They put reverb locks on V4.
                        V4 also had shock absorbers on the circuit boards...etc...
                        Since it was a REAL Ampeg...

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                          Look at the back of the amp:

Designed by SLM, USA
                          Made in China

That's what the label says...

There are quite a lot of them out there.
                          I just finished fixing one.

So, it's a bit more than a myth.

Comment

"I never knew Magnavox made Ampegs.."

Behold, the REAL Ampeg. Made in USA.
                            1. ANY part you wanted, ANY time you needed it. Especially Transformers*.
                            2. Shock absorbers on the circuit boards.
                            3. Blows 2 output tubes, in the middle of your show, AND keeps right on playing.
                            4. COMPLETE schematics. all you had to do was ask.

Quite a difference from Chinese imitation.

But most of you wouldn't know that. It was before you were born.

--senile old coot

* Yeah, I bought the last, REAL, Ampeg SVT output transformer from Magnavox.
                            There are no more now.
                            Hey guy...would it be possible for you, or anybody else for that matter, post me some pics of these different amps?? Seriously, I would like to see what all this fuss is about....I don't have the experience as other people here so it might be a great opportunity for me to see these differences......post me some pics of the internals of some real ampegs, the Magnavox ones, and some Chinese, some Korean ones and any other different ones that you have pics for...oh...and if you have it, a pic of that transformer you got from Magnavox...I will never get to see a Real Ampeg here where I am so the best I can hope for would be some pics....Thanks a bunch...
                            Cheers,
                            Bernie

Comment

Bernie, the Ampeg book mentioned earlier in this thread is a really good, historical view of the company. It doesn't go into too many technical details but it does provide some very good info and it's a great read. If you're a fan of Ampeg this the the book to have.

AL

Comment

They put reverb locks on V4.
                                V4 also had shock absorbers on the circuit boards...etc...
                                Since it was a REAL Ampeg...
                                Thank you, SGM, as usual you are being very helpful and relevant to this thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X