Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Picked Up a Used Behringer KX1200, What Maintenance Should I Perform?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked Up a Used Behringer KX1200, What Maintenance Should I Perform?

So my jam band has needed an all-purpose backup amp for a while. Sometimes we have a keys player, singer, etc. show up and we are forever needing something for them to plug into and jam with us. I didn't really want to drop a ton of cash into something that will likely do more sitting than playing, so when I ran across this KX1200 I picked it up. It is in very good visual condition, and looks like it has never been gigged. I also tested it as best as I could, and all seems in working order.

So here is my question: I see from the many forum discussions both here and elsewhere that these amps seem to be reasonably reliable for the price range, bu they do have some common issues. The crossover coming apart seems to be probably the most common source of problems, with the resulting shorts and intermittance probably being the root cause of many board failures. So is it worth my time to pull this thing apart and proactively secure the components on the crossover before a failure occurs? And if the answer is "Yes" then what really needs to be done?

PS: I have a very strong engineering/troubleshooting background, with a decent amount of equipment to work with. So don't be concerned about getting too technical, I can probably handle it.

OK, then not to be too technical, recognize the difference between WHEN there is a loss of speaker action, it is likely the crossover had a part come off, and having the crossover fall apart being common. Those are different things.

If I have a woofer but no tweeter, yes I will look at that Xover first, mainly because there is only one amplifier within, so if any driver works, then the amp works. I would say that my repair experience has been replacing blown op amp ICs more than fixing Xovers, one of the TL074s.

If you feel like spinning out the screws to pull the woofer and look at the crossover, well it isn't a big job, go ahead. If the cable tie wraps are broken, replace them with as heavy as will fit. You can pull it and check the back for cracked solder. I always thought that square in the center of the rear panel was not the least vibratory position. Up to me I might have put it near an edge of the cabinet.

If it works it works. the outputs are a couple of LM3886, which are reliable and sturdy enough. If controls are noisy, clean them, if a jack is intermittent, try some cleaner. I might push headphones plug in and out of its jack a few times to verify the speaker reliably returns when the jack is empty.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

"What maintenance should I perform?"

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1344.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	2.48 MB
ID:	832498
      "So don't be concerned about getting too technical, I can probably handle it."

Just wear eye protection.

Comment

The useless-post-of-the-day .
        I was missing it
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by soundguruman View Post
          "What maintenance should I perform?"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27585[/ATTACH]
          "So don't be concerned about getting too technical, I can probably handle it."

Just wear eye protection.
          Is that the hammer out of your Fisher Price set?

I will give you a hint: The little plastic nails will only fit in the round holes.
          Last edited by flyinphill; 02-19-2014, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X