Basic Simple 50 watt Bass Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
    I want to build a basic 50 watt no frills bass head.
    Something lean and mean with a Pair of 6L6 tubes.
    What would you build?
    How many preamp tubes, how many Pot Controls, are really needed for bass?
    I want to build in Good strong simple tone?
    Discuss away!
    T
    If you are actually going to use it for a BASS build it as a hi fi power amp and add a gain stage from bass level and a tone stack.

Use a known good hi fi output transformer. A Peerless or Acro or something of that caliber. Mercury magnetics sells the VTO100 but it's for 4-6L6 or EL34 and is >$300 apiece. These were developed for David Manley and are derived from the British Radford winding scheme.

No modern bassist would use an old Bassman except for recording faithful imitations of others.

Comment

Sorry if I've thrown you into turmoil!
      I don't recall anyone saying that the 1986 was no good as a bass amp?
      Pete
      Last edited by pdf64; 05-27-2014, 10:05 PM.
      My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

T, you are apparently swimming in OPINIONS, but it isn;t like this is right and wrong.

Why did Leo redesign the 5F6a? How about the layout? The older model was a combo, chassis with controls on top and tubes on bottom. The 6G6 is now the head style chassis with controls on front, tubes on bottom, jacks on back. That alone is excuse enough for a redesign.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Gotcha!
          Going to the work bench to build it.
          Last edited by big_teee; 05-27-2014, 10:55 PM.
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

There is more than one way to skin a cat. There is more than one recipe for the world's second best chili. (MINE is of course the best) There is more than one good preamp circuit.

I bet if you looked you'd find 10 preamps that sound great. Surely something like an AMpeg V15 makes the list. Pick one you like, and make it.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Terry, here ya go, maybe save you a search:
              Attached Files
              This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Working...
              X