So the winner for best AV is [tear open envelope -->] Kaspersky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
    So, what is the AV of choice these days?
    Honestly nothing at all. If I'm suspicious about my computer I'll use combofix and malware bytes for a check. It has to be really slick to bypass me.
    nosaj
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

For many years, I was using AVG Anti-Virus. I was then lured into using AVG Internet Security. This suite also included Malware and Firewall protection.

And then Microsoft released Build 1809 for Windows 10. As soon as I upgraded my three computers to that build, I could no longer access each one across my wired network. I spent 2 plus hours with AVG Tech Support (thinking it was something with their new release), no luck. I spent 3 plus hours with Microsoft Tech Support, no luck. I uninstalled AVG and everything worked just fine. I could see and move files from one computer to another. So thinking it was the AVG Firewall component, I reinstalled AVG and only selecting the anti-virus component. But even then, the ability to access other computers was lost. So I gave up on AVG. The old and new build were causing problems in a home network environment on Windows 10. (Maybe Microsoft planted their own wall that prevents the 3rd party packages from working in this environment).

The Anti-virus and Malware protection that are packaged with Windows 10 has improved - at least that is what my tech buddies tell me. So that is what I am relying on. Mind you, I am religious about "backups" - I do them often and know I can recover should I have a serious breach or crashed drive. These days, I am using EaseUS Todo Backup. So I feel fairly well protected.

So my vote is to stick with the Microsoft Suite. You avoid 3rd party products and potential for security gaps.

Good luck!!

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by TomCarlos View Post
        For many years, I was using AVG Anti-Virus. I was then lured into using AVG Internet Security. This suite also included Malware and Firewall protection.

And then Microsoft released Build 1809 for Windows 10. As soon as I upgraded my three computers to that build, I could no longer access each one across my wired network. I spent 2 plus hours with AVG Tech Support (thinking it was something with their new release), no luck. I spent 3 plus hours with Microsoft Tech Support, no luck. I uninstalled AVG and everything worked just fine. I could see and move files from one computer to another. So thinking it was the AVG Firewall component, I reinstalled AVG and only selecting the anti-virus component. But even then, the ability to access other computers was lost. So I gave up on AVG. The old and new build were causing problems in a home network environment on Windows 10. (Maybe Microsoft planted their own wall that prevents the 3rd party packages from working in this environment).

The Anti-virus and Malware protection that are packaged with Windows 10 has improved - at least that is what my tech buddies tell me. So that is what I am relying on. Mind you, I am religious about "backups" - I do them often and know I can recover should I have a serious breach or crashed drive. These days, I am using EaseUS Todo Backup. So I feel fairly well protected.

So my vote is to stick with the Microsoft Suite. You avoid 3rd party products and potential for security gaps.

Good luck!!

Tom
        Actually there was a major issue with win10 1809 an 3rd party AV vendors. Caused me severe headaches.

nosaj

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
          Actually there was a major issue with win10 1809 an 3rd party AV vendors. Caused me severe headaches.

nosaj
          And the kicker is that the Tech I was working with had absolutely no idea!! Besides some of the AV and 3rd party compatibility, Build 1809 required several changes to the Firewalls Rules and Services in order for networking to work properly. But I got through all that and the last issue I dealt with was the anti-virus.

And I too use MalwareBytes. I run it in a passive mode and occasionally turn it on for scans.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by TomCarlos View Post
            And the kicker is that the Tech I was working with had absolutely no idea!! Besides some of the AV and 3rd party compatibility, Build 1809 required several changes to the Firewalls Rules and Services in order for networking to work properly. But I got through all that and the last issue I dealt with was the anti-virus.

And I too use MalwareBytes. I run it in a passive mode and occasionally turn it on for scans.

Tom
            There was a whole week almost no one knew what happened. Microsoft did an update that killed all AV but theirs. Once we figured that out and got it working they sent more updates that even if you had updates TURNED OFF it still updated. There was about 4 months that I really questioned my sanity. After that fiasco I lost the contract with that company I'd had for 15 years.

nosaj

Comment

I'm still using AVG (free version) on Windows 10. No problems here.
              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                I'm still using AVG (free version) on Windows 10. No problems here.
                Avast and AVG are the same company from the Czech republic https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVG_Technologies
                nosaj

Comment

When I worked before 2010, our company used McAfee, and the other hot AV was Norton.
                  Since 2012, I've been Only on Linux. Most of that time no AV at all.
                  I now install Clamtk, but don't run it often.
                  Clamav is free and has AV for Linux and MS both.
                  You can get it here.
                  https://www.clamav.net/
                  I get the linux version through the Ubuntu Download Repository.
                  T
                  "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                  Terry

Comment

Still using avira free. I've been using it forever and just too lazy too switch. Also run noscript and between the two of them, never had a problem.
                    Originally posted by Enzo
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                    X