Use of Screen Tap on single-ended output transformer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use of Screen Tap on single-ended output transformer

I was recently given a Triode OT for a Champ build that has a White primary tap that is a screen tap. I have never used one of these before and am wondering if the OT will work with this taped off or must it be connected to the screen of a 6V6?
    A tyro question, I am sure, but I can't seem to find the answer.
    Thanks.

Screen taps on an SE OT are usually found on hi-fi transformers. Do you have the model number? For a champ build you would ignore the tapping so long as your transformer is close enough in all other respects.

Hammond refers to the tapping as "for optional use".

Comment

Mick, the model number is TF103-48ULH. By ignoring the tap, just tape it off?

Comment

I took a look at the spec and it's use is optional. For a standard Champ, ignore it. I like to make sure that any unused taps on a transformer are secure. Regular tape can come off - the adhesive oozes. I snip off any exposed bare wire, double the wire back for about an inch and heat-shrink over the loop. If I have it to hand, I use adhesive lined. Then tie wrap it out of the way. If you leave the wire full-length it can always be reinstated if you want to do something different in the future.

I have made amps with a switch to select between a standard screen supply, or the tap. Usually they get left in the standard position.

Comment

Thanks Mick. Its always nice when I can ignore something.

Comment

Working...
          X