No announcement yet.

Twin reverb new speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's not overdrive. It's just straining...
    just because it's loud enough to burst your ear drums, it's still not overdrive.
    What you are hearing is speaker saturation.

Effects pedals?
    I don't count them as viable. I don't use them.
    I think they are silly.
    You can overdrive a twin with effects pedals, but I don't think it sounds very pleasant.
    Last edited by soundguruman; 02-27-2014, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
      Twins don't overdrive? Since when? Sure they do,
      Originally posted by soundguruman View Post
      So now you're telling us you don't even know what overdrive is? When a power amp is putting out a clipped waveform, that is just straining?
      Sheesh.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

You can overdrive a twin with effects pedals, but I don't think it sounds very pleasant.
        I wonder if this has something to do with your choice of speakers? Maybe the JBL-or-nothing dogma is a little limiting?

One of the most oft-cited reasons to change the speakers in a Twin is to get an acceptable pedal distortion sound.

Comment

Originally posted by g-one View Post
          So now you're telling us you don't even know what overdrive is? When a power amp is putting out a clipped waveform, that is just straining?
          Sheesh.
          "So now you're telling us you don't even know what overdrive is?"

As usual, you are twisting and distorting what I say, to make it "seem as if" i said something entirely different.

You are the perfect candidate for that job opening at the fox news network....
          You must be a republican. (how did I guess?)

I hope you get treatment for your mental illness, soon.
          Last edited by soundguruman; 02-27-2014, 05:05 PM.

Comment

"So now you're telling us you don't even know what overdrive is?"

As usual, you are twisting and distorting what I say, to make it "seem as if" i said something entirely different.
            Are you a complete and utter idiot? Unfortunately there is no treatment for that.
            Did you not make the following statements?

And a twin does not overdrive.
            just because it's loud enough to burst your ear drums, it's still not overdrive.
            What you are hearing is speaker saturation.
            Just because you won't admit to your own previous statements, or can't be bothered to re-read them, doesn't mean we can't see them.
            You constantly contradict your own statements and are absolutely unwilling to admit your mistakes, which are numerour.

All your posts are here on the forum for anyone to read. And anyone interested in seeing the incredible amount of BS you have posted all across the internet need only do a google search of your username. Yes, you use the same name on all the other forums you post your BS on. I would imagine you have been banned from most of those forums, I have no idea why you are still allowed to post your dis-information here.
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

This from Eminence may work...Eminence adds the EPS-12C Pedal Steel guitar speaker to the Patriot series. | Eminence Speaker
              It's directed at Steel String players but is made like a JBL with it's edge-wound voice coil.
              And it weighs 7.1lbs, which in a twin, matters.
              Now Trending: China has found a way to turn stupidity into money!

Comment

Originally posted by g-one View Post
                Are you a complete and utter idiot? Unfortunately there is no treatment for that.
                Did you not make the following statements?

Just because you won't admit to your own previous statements, or can't be bothered to re-read them, doesn't mean we can't see them.
                You constantly contradict your own statements and are absolutely unwilling to admit your mistakes, which are numerour.

All your posts are here on the forum for anyone to read. And anyone interested in seeing the incredible amount of BS you have posted all across the internet need only do a google search of your username. Yes, you use the same name on all the other forums you post your BS on. I would imagine you have been banned from most of those forums, I have no idea why you are still allowed to post your dis-information here.
                There is no misinformation.

But continue attacking anybody who doesn't think the same as you.

That's what republicans are best at...

PS I hope the whole bloody world reads what I wrote.
                PPS I still think effects pedals are silly.
                Last edited by soundguruman; 02-27-2014, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Oh well....
                  "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
                  - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
                    Hmmm, on the other hand, my experience is that different speakers can provide a very different 'voice' for an amp, almost as much so as using a different guitar.
                    I completely agree that the speakers are the voice of the amp. I don't think that any single change to an amp can be as drastic as changing the speakers.

The OP needs to consider there are numerous factors that affect a speaker, and the power rating alone can often result in diminishing returns of volume and tone. A one-bar electric fire can handle 1000w, but produce very little sound. Getting a speaker with the correct sensitivity balanced with the thermal handling and good tonal characteristics can be tricky in amps with relatively high output.

Eminence produces some excellent information on their speakers, and they're not too badly priced. The Delta Pro 12" is a reliable speaker and readily available.

You won't know what's best for you until you buy, fit and play, then study the sound and how the tone controls and guitar react to your own playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                      You won't know what's best for you until you buy, fit and play, then study the sound and how the tone controls and guitar react to your own playing.
                      Absolutely. There's so many choices for guitar amp today. I had my son's school TRRI for a minor repair and IMO sounded great with the stock Jensen C12K, (just an example). Most of the higher powered speakers are heavy, a Twin with JBLs is almost immoveable!
                      "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
                      - Yogi Berra

Comment

I have a pair of 90's eminence beta 12 in a 74 silver face twin reverb and they are the perfect speakers for the amp.

My twin certainly does overdrive and sounds great too !

Comment

Get a nice clean sound in a TR itīs relatively simple. But getting that the pedals combine with it to compose a good set is not easy. A TR reissue with Jensen C12K sounds decent with clean sounds but getting it to sound good with pedals is a headache. Tend to sound squashed, hard as a stone.., and gives the feeling that the amp rejects them (I speak from the point of view of sensitivity to touch)
                          Sometimes I used a pair of Vintage 30 accommodating the electronics for them. I guess it's "historically incorrect" but... sometimes one has to jump over. Here's a clip:
                          "The Night's Soul" by Alberto Barrero - YouTube

Comment

I put a pair of Eminence Swamp Thangs in my Twin, apparently sometime after my last response in this thread. Also cut the NFB loop and disabled the tremolo. It overdrives spectacularly.

I haven't tried the other speakers recommended, but the Swamp Thangs seem like a perfect match. I guess I can't be that deaf yet, because they don't sound as dark as the name might suggest. I actually got complimented by a soundguy on how good it sounded... or maybe that was just his nice way of saying "thanks for only turning up to 2".

Comment

Working...
                            X