Vox AC30C2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vox AC30C2

Good day....Not sure if this is the correct place to post this question...(I am sure I will be corrected if it is not).....but here goes....The power transformer for this amp is not available from the Canadian distributor, Jam Industries for 22 weeks.....I was wondering if anybody else on this forum knew where I could source another replacement transformer at a reasonable cost....In the meantime I will do a google search to see what I can come up with....Thanks in advance for any help.....
    Cheers,
    Bernie

Transformers & Chokes | Antique Electronic Supply

Comment

Just checked it out. They don't have anything. a couple of output transformers and a filter choke...I need a power transformer.....
      I also checked out google...so far couldn't find anything. I'll keep checking...

Comment

Is this not it?
        https://www.tubedepot.com/products/v...er-transformer

Comment

Originally posted by bsco View Post
          Just checked it out. They don't have anything. a couple of output transformers and a filter choke...I need a power transformer.....
          I also checked out google...so far couldn't find anything. I'll keep checking...
          This link is for power transformers

Transformers & Chokes | Antique Electronic Supply

Comment

Check to see if your transformer has a low voltage winding. Is it SS rectified? The last one I saw was and had a winding to power the op-amps and no 5v winding, so a reissue or original AC30 transformer wouldn't work.

YMMV.

Comment

Ok Mick....It is a SS rectified supply....The primary winding of this transformer has opened up...for what reason I do not know...no fuses blown....no signs of damage..maybe it just opened up on it's own....I can get one from the Canadian supplier but has a lead time of 22 weeks minimum...so that is why I was asked to see if I could hunt down another one....I'll take a look at the schematic and the chassis again after...as I have a........ dare I say it...A Line 6 piece of shit to look at which is apart right now....
              Cheers,
              Bernie

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                Check to see if your transformer has a low voltage winding. Is it SS rectified? The last one I saw was and had a winding to power the op-amps and no 5v winding, so a reissue or original AC30 transformer wouldn't work.

YMMV.
                here is schematics
                VOX | Vintage Circuit Diagrams

There are several models, so check first which one.

Comment

What Mick said^^^^

You have a AC30C2, which is NOT an AC30.

The AC30C2 stock transformer provides:
                  262-0-262 HV winding
                  6.3c winding for heaters - no center tap
                  25v winding for low voltage circuits.

Those low voltage circuits are +27v and -27v, and are indeed used to power the op amps, switching, and LEDs.

So you need those voltages. The common AC30 transformers will have 5v rectifier windings you won;t need or just lack the low voltage winding.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I didn't think that they were the same but I was going to check to make sure...Thanks Enzo....I'll check out those schematics there SGM.....I am pretty sure I have the right schematic......but a link to more Vox schematics can't hurt either....

Comment

Mercury Magnetics -- The Guitar Amp Transformer Company

Comment

I don't see it - which one?

Comment

Wow!!! I guess they are made of gold or uranium or something...according to the prices that I just glanced at....think I'll keep searching...

Comment

I have the same amp with a similar problem. Was wondering if there was any more information on Bernie's repair. Any idea as to the cause of the failure? Where did you source the replacement?
                            Thanks, Brian

Comment

Originally posted by MstrB View Post
                              I have the same amp with a similar problem. Was wondering if there was any more information on Bernie's repair. Any idea as to the cause of the failure? Where did you source the replacement?
                              Thanks, Brian
                              That was years ago...I have no idea about the particular repair....I can't remember how I repaired that....I think it might have been under a warranty supplied directly by the music store and usually when this type if issue happens, they just replace it and then the store will wait for the correct replacement part to be shipped in...sorry that I can't be of anymore help to you....maybe these days the transformer might be easier to get.....you can go back through this post and check out the links provided....good luck with it all.....

Comment

Working...
                              X