• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC Coupled cathode follower

Click image for larger version

Name:	Eico 488-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	868272I found this for $15. I'm attempting to build a stereo preamp out of it. It has 2x 6AU6 and 2x 12AU7. I've got it up and running but have a spare 12AU7. I've been wondering if a DC coupled cathode follower is something I'd like. Opinions on line seem to go both ways. The thought of pure tube compression sounds tempting but I'd hate to get stuck with something I may not like. So I'm interested in peoples thoughts.Click image for larger version

Name:	Eico 488-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	868271
    Last edited by twiggybush; 02-26-2014, 10:57 AM. Reason: Picture loading quirk

A 12AU7 used as C.F. would show a very low impedance.

Comment

By stereo preamp do you mean for an audio line, or as an electronic musical instrument i.e. guitar, bass, keyboard etc.? Those parts should definitely do the job either way. 6AU6 is not the greatest for tone and was probably used for it's high input resistance from being a pentode. Just two 12ax7 would work for a musical instrument pre. An audio pre may be better with 6DJ8 or 12at7. If you wanted to stick with 7 pins you could use a 6av6 which is a single triode with the same gain as a 12ax7.
      Now Trending: China has found a way to turn stupidity into money!

Comment

Working...
      X