Quick transformer layout question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick transformer layout question

I know enough to position the transformers at opposing directions to avoid magnetic field interference between them, but what about proximity? Will this be ok or are they too close to each other?

~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Too close. What amp are you building? Looks like a Champ OT and a PT from a much larger amp. I'd position them as far a part as possible.

Comment

It's going to be a 5F10 Harvard. The transformers were from a 2 x 6v6 organ amp. The PT is so beefy because it had to power all sorts of effects on the organ, as well as the power amp.
      ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

Too close...I modded a Bogen CHB100, and they mounted the transformers close like that. In a stock Bogen it is fine but when you increase the gain, it hums....best to mount further apart, and really there is the trick where you can wire up the PT and then fire it up with all the secondary leads disconnected, and listen with headphones to the OT speaker connections, (but leave the primary disconnected)while you move around the OT to get the lowest hum....it works well...

Greg

Comment

Working...
        X