Tube amp project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gui_tarzan View Post
    Right now I have a bias voltage of -21v and the anode to cathode on the power tubes is running 10v. Voltage to the power tubes on pins 3 & 4 both read 508v so I think there's still something not quite right.
    I'm not sure what any of this means. If you have 10V from plate to cathode, then your cathodes are not grounded like they should be. Pin8 of the power tubes should be at 0V.
    And your bias should be much higher, stock bias is -48V with lower plate voltages, if you had -21V bias I would expect the power tubes to be red-plating.
    If the cathodes are not grounded, that would also increase the B+.
    What are the voltages at pins 3,4,5, and 8 of the power tubes? And the voltage across one of the 470 ohm resistors that connect to pin 4?

Edit: make sure the bias filter cap is 100V, not 50V like your drawing shows. + end goes to ground. 47uf rather than 25uf is commonly used.
    Last edited by g1; 03-30-2014, 12:28 AM.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

V4 & V5 (5881) Pins:

1 = -44v
      3 = ?v too high for my 600v meter
      4 = 396
      5 = -44v
      6 = 396
      8 = 0v

5.0v across pins 4 & 6 on the 470ohm resistor.

Both tubes read identical. I also replaced the bias cap with a 100/100, I don't have a 50/100 on hand at the moment. I read on several forums that's a commonly used replacement.
      --Jim

He's like a new set of strings... he just needs to be stretched a bit.

Comment

Are you getting sound out of it?
        Your voltage readings keep changing, what is going on?
        You have max. 506V at the caps, so there can't be any more at pin3 of the power tubes. And the second supply node was 505V which should go to the 470R screen resistors, yet you say there is 396V there?
        Without a proper schematic it is kind of guesswork. So drawing one up would be a good start (schematic, not layout).
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

After hooking up pins 8 to ground (banging head against desk for forgetting them) I'm getting a normal hum in the speaker. Still no sound with a guitar plugged in. I will post a schematic with voltage readings on it tomorrow.
          --Jim

He's like a new set of strings... he just needs to be stretched a bit.

Comment

Working...
          X