Tube amp project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube amp project

It's been a busy few nights, here's what I have done so far. I am getting a lay-down style bell set for the PT and should be able to start wiring this weekend.

I'm using a Yamaha B100ii solid state head cabinet because in actuality, I like it and I got it dirt-cheap. The Tolex is in great shape but I will be replacing the grille cloth.

I cut out the area of the chassis that had all the funky stamping and holes that weren't going to work and replaced it with a piece of aluminum sheet, then drilled the tube mounting holes.

--Jim

He's like a new set of strings... he just needs to be stretched a bit.

Before even reading the post I thought "hey, that's Yamaha grille cloth!", so I'm sorry but I'll have to vote for keeping it . It would certainly be unique.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

So it looks like you kept the original chassis and cut out some big rectangles to fit in the new pieces? Can't wait to see your progress. Good luck!!
      It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

You need to be careful of ground loops. It will probably work as is....... but if it were my project I would use a steel plate if it is a steel chassis. Funny stuff happens when aluminum meets steel like that.

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
          You need to be careful of ground loops. It will probably work as is....... but if it were my project I would use a steel plate if it is a steel chassis. Funny stuff happens when aluminum meets steel like that.
          Yeah, I thought about the potential for the dissimilar metals reacting, I'll probably put something in there to protect from that and make sure the grounds are solid. It's a heck of a lot easier drilling aluminum for the tube holes than steel too.
          --Jim

Comment

So it looks like you kept the original chassis and cut out some big rectangles to fit in the new pieces? Can't wait to see your progress. Good luck!!
            Yes, I thought about making a new chassis but this is a low $ project just for me so I went the cheap & easy way.
            --Jim

Comment

My replacement bell cover set arrived today from Heyboer (right here in Michigan) and they fit perfectly. Back to work!
              --Jim

Comment

Well it's all together and I have no sound. None. No buzzing, no hums, nothing. Time to start looking for missed connections and voltage levels.
                --Jim

Comment

I am supposed to have around 415v on pin 3 of the power tubes but I have - and this seems highly unusual to me - 1100v. Is that even possible?
                  --Jim

Comment

Doesn't seem very probable. Try measuring across the first filter cap.
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

580v and it fell to 535v in about 30 seconds, and it's dropping 1uf about every four-five seconds now.
                      --Jim

Comment

Looks like it's stabilizing around 500v.

[edit] Oh geez, I've got 1192 on the second cap. I bet I wired one of them backwards.

[edit 2] No, according to an AB763 schematic they're right.
                        --Jim

Comment

Which AB763 is this based on? What meter are you using and do you have a good ground?

Comment

It's actually based on the 5F6 schematic except I used 80/80/16/16/16 for caps instead of 20/20/20/20/8. I got the voltage specs from the SR AB763 schematic but now I see the 5F6 schematic shows 425v on the first two caps where the choke connects. Yes, I checked the grounds and they all look & feel good & tight.

I checked with two different meters, one is a Commercial Electric and the other is a cheapie Cen-Tech, both show the same readings.
                            Last edited by gui_tarzan; 03-26-2014, 01:09 AM.
                            --Jim

Comment

OK, your B+ wwinding has a center tap that is grounded. Make sure you didn;t ground one of the winding end wires instead of the center tap.
                              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                              X