Magnet location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnet location

Hello forum... I've been building pickups for a few years now, but all are just variations of common pickup designs (i.e. P-90's, HBs..etc.) I just recently have been experimenting with new designs, ideas and such... I am wondering, is it possible to place the pole pieces, magnet outside of the coil... Like a K&F lap steel pickup where the strings pass through the pickup, but if you were to rotate the pickup 90 degrees so it was flat and the strings passed over the pup. I apologize if this is a dumb question, goes to show, just cause you know how to wind and assemble a pickup, doesn't mean ya understand all the physics of how they work. Thanks for all the input, much appreciated
    Jonny
    BuenaVentura Guitars
    www.buenaventuraguitars.com

the k and f works because of the steel plates over and under the strings that bring the magnetic field across the strings from the magnets on each end of the coil so like on a bigsby blade pickup you could put a bar magnet on each long side of the coil- even have a steel plate the bobbin and the bar magnets sit on top of and you could tap the center of the steel plate for screw poles so you could have north up on each bar magnet outside of the coil and south would go through the steel plate and up the pole pieces so it was south up in the middle of the coil- thats not uncommon but not how pickups are typically made anymore. Make sense?

Comment

I don't know either.
      Maybe someone can jump in that is smarter than me, though that wouldn't take much. lol
      On a normal pickup the string passing over the magnet, which induces a signal into the coil.
      So if there is another way to do that in another configuration maybe it will work.
      Welcome to the forum.
      You appear to be in Mojo Country!
      T
      ** Looks JL has already answered the question.
      Thanks, Jason.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by jason lollar View Post
        the k and f works because of the steel plates over and under the strings that bring the magnetic field across the strings from the magnets on each end of the coil so like on a bigsby blade pickup you could put a bar magnet on each long side of the coil- even have a steel plate the bobbin and the bar magnets sit on top of and you could tap the center of the steel plate for screw poles so you could have north up on each bar magnet outside of the coil and south would go through the steel plate and up the pole pieces so it was south up in the middle of the coil- thats not uncommon but not how pickups are typically made anymore. Make sense?
        wow... yeah that makes perfect sense, and i kinda feel like a dope for not realizing that myself... ha, i knew there was a reason I put Lollars in a lot of my builds (believe me i'm a much more competent guitar builder than pickup builder/designer)... thanks for explaining it in a way that is easy to get and not making me feel foolish for asking... i really appreciate that man
        Jonny
        BuenaVentura Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          I don't know either.
          Maybe someone can jump in that is smarter than me, though that wouldn't take much. lol
          On a normal pickup the string passing over the magnet, which induces a signal into the coil.
          So if there is another way to do that in another configuration maybe it will work.
          Welcome to the forum.
          You appear to be in Mojo Country!
          T
          ** Looks JL has already answered the question.
          Thanks, Jason.
          Yeah I've been to the mojo warehouse... it's a cool place, really nice people... they really do a lot of stuff there... thanks man
          Jonny
          BuenaVentura Guitars

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	P6260050.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	832655Click image for larger version

Name:	P6260049.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	832656 heres a ZB pedal steel pickup- see the steel bottom plate, the coil is wound around the screw poles and its surrounded by rod magnets, lots of variations you can do with this

Comment

Originally posted by jason lollar View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]27837[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27838[/ATTACH] heres a ZB pedal steel pickup- see the steel bottom plate, the coil is wound around the screw poles and its surrounded by rod magnets, lots of variations you can do with this
              Yeah, I really dig that... If done like you mentioned earlier with bar mags north up outside the coil and the center poles south up, would this negate the magnets pull on the strings? Intonation problems when the pickup is really close to the strings? Especially if using rod mags
              Jonny
              BuenaVentura Guitars

Comment

Actually, nevermind that... I guess that's the proof that there are dumb questions... Heh, sorry as soon as I thought about it, I figured it out
                Jonny
                BuenaVentura Guitars

Comment

Working...
                X