Line6 Spider III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line6 Spider III

I have a spider III for repair, amp plays for some minutes then the amps shuts down as if the powersupply stops working for some seconds and comes back. You can see all LEDs "disappear" and returning with their lights.
    Anybody out here who had a fault like that before? All these spider amps seem to have very bad connections I have realized over the last few years.

There is probably an over voltage which is overheating it...
    the power supply needs to be checked for correct input output voltages.
    Maybe it is intended for 220 volt and running on 245 volt...or a similar mismatch...this is what I suspect.

Or you need to get a better power supply for NZ voltages.
    You need a tech who can test it correctly.

The amp sounds pretty good if the power supply works right...

Comment

Thanks for your reply.
      I am an electronics engineer myself and designing amps for the past 30 years, but I'm really getting fed up fixing other people's designs and mistakes that come with it. So I posted this to get (hopefully) a fast and efficient answer for this problem.
      The previous spider repairs had a lot of contact issues, PCB through hole and flatcable connections etc...
      And don't forget, all these amps are made in China and these guys don't care...I know that for sure as I imported a lot from there.
      The problem here is different as it seems to appear after a short time leaving the on. It then stops the "pot and button" functions and the display goes blank. The poweramp stays on. But the audio disappeared as there are no functions selectable. Me too thought of a voltage lacking somewhere but if you move one of the pots or touch some buttons, the audio comes back but in a volume that was set before and you can't alter anything. Any movement you do looks like the computer is gone into service mode, that's what the display looks like.
      Soundwise I am really not convinced with these type of amps, not the line 6 range, nor the new vox line or any others. My idea of amplifiers is that if you turn a master volume knob is that this one alters the volume immediately, regardless what happens. Not like here where it has to be programmed. I remember having a faulty sider valve (Bogner), changed just a setting and I thought it blows out my eardrum. I did set the master volume on the first quarter with the setting before.
      This type of behaviour is not what I expect from an amplifier, I wonder if there are any cases of ear damage in the US courts already.
      But anyway, many thanks for your reply, if you would have schematics for a spiderIII 75, that would really help a lot more.

Comment

Working...
      X