General EMI/RF Line Filtering questions concerning Amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General EMI/RF Line Filtering questions concerning Amps

Yupp..... me again! LOL Wanted to get some input on AC line filtering for older instrument amplifiers. I've seen a suggestion here about using a "IEC type cord inlet filter which includes X/Y caps" like the regulated power supplies of our modern computers. I have a working 550w PS that I opened up and may salvage for parts. I removed the IEC socket and it looks like there are some nice components attached. (see photos below) I was wondering what you all thought about using this for the recent 3-wire cord I recently installed on my ole Gibson G10 amp? I imagine it couldn't hurt (?) but I'm wondering if it's worth the bother. Any and all input is greatly appreciated, as always!

Jimmy

Component specs (all across line):
    1.0uF 275V X2 capacitor (yellow cap)
    471K capacitor (blue cap, CNR, is all I can make out for ID!)
    330k Ohm 5% resistor (orange, orange, yellow, gold)
    Attached Files
    http://Radiant-Homes.com
    https://www.facebook.com/RadiantRemodelingCustomHomesInc

Originally posted by Brazen View Post
    Yupp..... me again! LOL Wanted to get some input on AC line filtering for older instrument amplifiers. I've seen a suggestion here about using a "IEC type cord inlet filter which includes X/Y caps" like the regulated power supplies of our modern computers. I have a working 550w PS that I opened up and may salvage for parts. I removed the IEC socket and it looks like there are some nice components attached. (see photos below) I was wondering what you all thought about using this for the recent 3-wire cord I recently installed on my ole Gibson G10 amp? I imagine it couldn't hurt (?) but I'm wondering if it's worth the bother. Any and all input is greatly appreciated, as always!

Jimmy

Component specs (all across line):
    1.0uF 275V X2 capacitor (yellow cap)
    471K capacitor (blue cap, CNR, is all I can make out for ID!)
    330k Ohm 5% resistor (orange, orange, yellow, gold)
    For RFI and noise filtering it's good to start here:
    Palomar Engineers? | GENERIC RFI KIT
    Palomar Engineers? | RFI Tip Sheet

BUT: if the noise is coming from a single coil pickup on the guitar,
    or a noisy effects unit, or a poorly designed amp, those are other problems which are fixed by other methods.
    Not all the noise is RFI....

If you live under a antenna tower, you might reduce it, but you may never get rid of all of it. Depends on how strong it is.

Yes a 3 wire power cord is a good idea.
    BUT you need to have grounded electricity.
    AND you should test it with one of these:
    American Recorder Technologies Ground Fault Outlet Receptacle Tester 110V | Musician's Friend
    and this is a good thing to carry in your guitar case. No matter where you play, you can test for bad power.

ALSO if one of the filament power wires is grounded in the Gibson amp...
    you need to lift the filaments off of ground entirely,
    to use a 3 wire power plug.
    Otherwise it may cause MORE noise than before. This can cause a loud HUM, if the filament voltage is connected to ground.

Then the filament center tap is grounded...or the filament wires are balanced to ground with two X 100 ohm resistors,
    or a hum balance control.

It was common in old amps, to connect filament voltage to ground.
    It has to be updated to reduce the noise. But this is not complicated.
    Last edited by soundguruman; 03-06-2014, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X