No announcement yet.

Revisiting my 5E3, simplifying things!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revisiting my 5E3, simplifying things!

Hi folk, I hope you are all good. There is a long time since last time I posted.

I have built a 5e3 6 years ago, the project went really well and I absolutely love it. Back then, I was temporally in Europe and installed a Mercury Magnetigs 240VAC, stock B+ 380-0-380 power transformer. Since it was a bit high I added a zener diode do drop it down about 25V. I have been very happy with the sound ever since.

After a few years and back to NYC, I would like to simplify things by changing the 240VAC PT with a 120Vac PT with a lower B+. This will eliminate the zener and the step down transformer need.

Also, while I'm in there I would like to experiment different caps, replacing the orange drops with Sozo, jupiters or Mojo Dijon.
    I would be very grateful of you could point me in the right direction in terms of PT and caps.

Thanks a lot!

Here are a couple pics of my amp

Last edited by tweed; 03-06-2014, 07:52 PM.

Nice and tidy build. I don't generally go in for modern amps built with Boutique Xformers and cloth braid wire but your work is very nice and I can't help but be impressed at the patience that build must have required.

One thing that caught my eye... Where is this lead supposed to go? And what's up with that empty triode?

Click image for larger version

Name:	dgatict.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	832690

I think OD's sound just fine in these amps. If you REALLY want to change for some reason I guess I could suggest the Mallory 150 series caps. They are said to be very close to the original construction. Preferred by boutique builders and readily available without the designer price tag.

As to designer price tags... I'm not sure who else might make a new PT for your amp other than Mercury. I'm almost certain I read about a PT from them for that model that is supposed to supply correct vintage voltages from current US wall outlets.

Really pretty work. And please comment on that floating lead.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Hi Chuck!
      Thanks for your comments.

I forgot to mention that picture was taken during the construction, it was soldered to the correct place!!
      Here is the finalized:

In regard to the caps, The orange drops sound good to me. Regardless, I am just looking for something to spend some time on. I read that there is caps with better frequency response, specially the mids, which suits better this amps if one is looking for a more "correct" sound.

Last night I have ordered from Blue molded caps from Sozo, i'll see how they go.
      Last edited by tweed; 03-07-2014, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Bruce at Mission Amps spent a lot of time getting the 5E3 voltages just right. He also says that using a NOS 5Y3 is the final key to nailing the 5E3 sound.
        WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
        REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
          Bruce at Mission Amps spent a lot of time getting the 5E3 voltages just right. He also says that using a NOS 5Y3 is the final key to nailing the 5E3 sound.
          Yes, definitely! I have learned about his work and read in numerous posts in how this machines are supposed to work. I have actually contacted Mission amps for a replacement PT, unfortunately they're out of stock.

Comment

Recap is done, the order arrived quickly. There was only a set back, there was a variation in the caps logo colors, some were white. You may call me OCD, for the aesthetics I rubbed of the white logos.

As a First impression, the amp seems overall softer, less low end, appears to brighter... Nicer breakup sound.

Sozo says the caps get better as they age. I believe in this, I recently recapped a 70's Marantz 2270 receiver and the sound definitely gradually improved after some hours on the electrolytes.

Comment

Magnetic Components makes an upgraded PT and has all the taps for all voltages 100V - 240V. So you just use the appropriate taps no matter what country you are in. $77 + change! #40-18028.
              Fender Deluxe Style Upgrade Power Transformer, 100/120/220/230/240V, 125P23B, 025130, 125P33A, 022749 5V 3 A allows use of 5U4, 5Y3 or Gz34.
              sigpicCharlieP
              (2)Peavey VK 112 2008
              Fender SuperSonic 60W 112 2010, 5E3 Build Mojotone
              Met. Red LP Gibson Robot 2008 Tronical Tuners
              Faded Cherry LP Gibson 2007
              Fender Strat HSS LSR S1 2008 Pearl
              Fend FSR Telebot Dlx Candy App 2011 Tronical Tuners
              Gretsch G5120 2007 Black

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieP View Post
                Magnetic Components makes an upgraded PT and has all the taps for all voltages 100V - 240V. So you just use the appropriate taps no matter what country you are in. $77 + change! #40-18028.
                Fender Deluxe Style Upgrade Power Transformer, 100/120/220/230/240V, 125P23B, 025130, 125P33A, 022749 5V 3 A allows use of 5U4, 5Y3 or Gz34.
                Hi, I have done that!
                Instead the one you refer I installed classictone 40-18078 power transformer, it has 2 B+ options 355-0-355 and a lower 330-0-330V generating ~360v B+, looks a lot cleaner. http://www.classictone.net/40-18078.pdf

I am also using a 390pf instead of 500pf silver mica cap at the tone control, it mellowed out the Hi freq a bit and The tone adjustment has a better adjustment range.

While I was at it, recapping, discovered an old mistake. For 5 years, I failed to notice that instead a 0.022uf cap on the intermediate gain stage (V2) I installed a .002uf.

There was bit of harshness and hissss when the treble was set high. All these changes combined resulted in a much better sounding tweed amp.

I am not sure if this is due the Sozo or the correct capacitor value in place...

Last edited by tweed; 07-18-2014, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X