Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pickup winder w/tach, counter and autostop (programmable number of turns)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup winder w/tach, counter and autostop (programmable number of turns)

Hi all, first post here. A friend of mine over at TDPRI told me about your forum and thought that some here might be interested in a PUP winder I built/ am building and suggested I post here. Happy for anyone to chime in on suggested improvements to the design.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BB77A14F-6EE0-49BE-B0CA-496360D784FB_zpses4swsz0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	868300

For those interrested, here are the build instructions - Pickup winder w/tach, counter and autostop (programmable number of turns) - Telecaster Guitar Forum

Comment

This one is well done to.
      Guitar PickUP Winding Machine By Adnan H. - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by mojoatomic View Post
        Hi all, first post here. A friend of mine over at TDPRI told me about your forum and thought that some here might be interested in a PUP winder I built/ am building and suggested I post here. Happy for anyone to chime in on suggested improvements to the design.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27883[/ATTACH]

For those interrested, here are the build instructions - Pickup winder w/tach, counter and autostop (programmable number of turns) - Telecaster Guitar Forum

Very nice! Thank you.

Now if we could come up with an auto-traverse... hmmm....

Comment

Yeah, saw that one 2 or 3 days ago... it is nice, but probably costs just a bit more to produce -

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Turner View Post
            Very nice! Thank you.

Now if we could come up with an auto-traverse... hmmm....

Well... that's next on the list. I've bought a few parts and I think I've come up with an easy to make auto traverse for it as well... might take a bit to flesh it out.

Comment

Why have two windows on the counter disc? Is that for the tach resolution at lower speeds? How do you then divide by two going into the counter?
              The drive system seems quite noisy for a DC motor with PWM.
              Would like to know more specifics about the speed reduction mods you did.
              Are you getting consistent overshoot on the relay shut off? Many counter have dual relays so the first one drops the speed and the second one kills after the final turn.

Comment

David, the two windows do provide better tach resolution, but their true purpose is for balance. Both the counter and tach have settable divisors for this purpose, and they're easy to program.

The speed reduction was taken care of on the PWM board on the lathe, there are upper and lower speed pots, I adjusted the low speed one.

The sound your hearing is wind generated through the opto interrupter disk windows.

Overshoot is 6 turns. I could kick a resistor over the leads and get braking, but it hasn't been necessary.

Comment

Thanks for the answers. It reminds me a lot of the very first winder that was posted on here when this was a brand new forum. i suppose a clear CD from the top of a spindle stack could be used with a little blackout. Or you could shape the cut outs into teardrop shapes to reduce the noise. My sewing machine winder overshoots by 15 so you're not going badly but my counter keeps count after the shutoff which is handy too. What did the tach end up costing?

Comment

$10 for the tach

This design counts independantly, weather the motor is under power or not.

Comment

First wind - turned out really nice!

Wound at 2100RPM, using a tension device.

Name:	tele_Bridge1.jpg
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	832744

Name:	tele_bridge2.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	832749

Name:	tele_bridge3.jpg
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	832750

Name:	tele_Bridge4.jpg
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	832751

Changed winding bar setup - time to clean the bench :-)

Name:	lathe_closeup.jpg
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	832745

Winding stops are ball bearings affixed and adjusted with magnets (just easier for me than using set screws) -

Name:	wire_guides_closeup.jpg
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	832746
                      Last edited by mojoatomic; 03-10-2014, 07:40 PM.

Comment

this is very cool!
                        I had considered a lathe winder for quite a while. Even went to Harbour Freight to look at their bench top wood lathe (nearest one is about an hour away).
                        Had not even considered that it could have a PWM DC motor controller. That is pretty key for me. Now I need to go take another look.

Comment

Thanks Lucas - it's working out very, very well for me. Wound these 2 days ago... 2700RPM, 8500 winds per coil, one is CW, other is CCW, both are north up & wired in series.

Made them for a prototype Supro/Valco inspired string through pickup I'm working on (not an exact copy, but I think it will be functionally close when finished). This pic shows it in the initial stages and I have to waterjet some pieces outta steel, but it proves fitment and overall concept.

Comment

Working...
                          X