Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiss in Clean Channel of Peavey Studio Pro 112

Hi,

I recently bought a Peavey Studio Pro 112 after reading they're very nice sounding amps for the money, and listening on youtube etc.

My question is, is there any way of lessening the idle hiss in the clean channel? The hiss is only very noticeable when using it as a practice amp in a quiet room (esp at night when the hiss sounds quite loud), it's independent of the volume control setting (its the same level of hiss even when the volume is turned all the way down to 0). The hiss is dependent on the tone controls, esp the treble control which changes the volume of the hiss. It's a white noise type of hiss, not a hum that could be defined as a note (like 50hz hum etc).

Its not there on the lead channel, just the normal hiss you would expect when the gain and lead volume ("post gain") are turned up. So that when the volume controls are all on 0, switching to the clean channel turns on the hiss very obviously, and when the dirty channel is selected, it disappears.

I would have normally expected the lead channel to have more hiss than the clean channel, since there are more gain stages etc, which makes me wonder if this is a fixable problem? Perhaps by changing noisy resistor(s) etc?

The reverb knob has no effect on the hiss either.

It's the chinese made silver stripe version.

I guess the first step is to contact Peavey & ask for a schematic.

Comment

Yes^^^ get the schematic. Have the amp handy when you call Peavey. There are several versions of this model name, and between the serial number and a description of the panel, they should figure out the correct one for you.

And is the "112" part of the model name or is it just descriptive from you?

And does it say "Transtube" on there at all?

If you have a transtube version, then you have narrowed it down to a single stage - two transistors in darlington. - that is after the volume and before the tone stack.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
      X