No announcement yet.

Electrical engineers: is this possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you tried any speaker swaps with the micro to see if the lack of nasty stuff is due to the amp or speaker?

Comment

Yes, mushy, I've tried it with a few 12" speakers and a 10" Eminence. It sounded non-fizzy with all of them. I've chosen the ElectroVoice because the amp has the most clarity and punch with that speaker. (I've heard it said that there's a lot of discussion about what the second best guitar speaker is: Greenbacks, Blues, Scumbacks, etc. But everybody agrees that the ElectroVoice 12L is the best. Okay, that's a bit much of a thing to say, but it's a good indication of how the EV 12L is regarded.)

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Daddy DeVille View Post
        Yes, mushy, I've tried it with a few 12" speakers and a 10" Eminence. It sounded non-fizzy with all of them. I've chosen the ElectroVoice because the amp has the most clarity and punch with that speaker. (I've heard it said that there's a lot of discussion about what the second best guitar speaker is: Greenbacks, Blues, Scumbacks, etc. But everybody agrees that the ElectroVoice 12L is the best. Okay, that's a bit much of a thing to say, but it's a good indication of how the EV 12L is regarded.)
        Interesting to know that the amp sounds fine with all of those speakers. I wonder how the tube compliment in those other amps might be weighing in.

Comment

I rolled an assortment of tubes in the two Vox amps and the Marshall, starting with the cheap Chinese tubes that came in all of them. JJ ECC83 S, JJ ECC83 S Gold Pin, SovTEK 12AX7, TungSol 12AX7, Ruby 12AX7, Ruby 12AX7A HG, Ruby 12AX7 AC5 HG+. I even tried out a 12AT7 and a 12AU7. I found a tube called the PM 12AX7HG, supposedly designed by Peter Watson, the guy who invented the ECC83 tube back in the day. They're hard to source in the U.S., so I got some sent from England. That's my favorite preamp tube so far. I put one in the Vox AC15C1. I think the Micro Terror might have come with a JJ ECC83 S stock---I can't remember. It sounded great from the moment I fired it up, but I put a PM 12AX7HG tube in it anyway. There's a standard PM 12AX7, a "high gain" version and a "low microphone" version. I just ordered four more just for backups. I sold my BlackHeart Killer Ant head for $125 a couple of days ago----and promptly bought a second Orange Micro Terror. (I found a place online, Humbucker Music, that'll sell the Micro Terror for $125... but they'll only give that price if you call them on the phone.) My wife gets that one, and I'll put a PM 12AX7HG in that, too.

Comment

Working...
          X