Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about Firebirds and the steel coupling plate...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Firebirds and the steel coupling plate...

I want to get into these, but nobody sells ALL of the internal parts. What's missing is the steel coupling plate (as well as the b-string plate). So I went looking at metal suppliers and a 1'x2' plate will make enough for a lot of Firebirds; a bit expensive at $30 delivered though. But, what gauge to get?

MetalsDepot® - HR, CRS & Galvanized Steel Sheet

I figure already that it has to be one of the top three; it's a bit tough when you've only seen pictures of originals, but I am leaning towards 16g or 18g.

Also, do you find the b-string plate necessary?

Thanks guys.

I have no idea what the coupling plates look like but if you buy a sheet will need to find someone with a shear to slice it up for you if it's as thick as 16.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
      I have no idea what the coupling plates look like but if you buy a sheet will need to find someone with a shear to slice it up for you if it's as thick as 16.
      Firebird vs Deluxe minihumbuckers <- copied from Other Gibsons - MyLesPaul.com

Let me know what you think; thank you.

Comment

MLP are just too funny. I had a look at the thread linked to above and found a photo I had shot and published in a thread here on this forum. The poster had downloaded the picture and re-published it via photo bucket. Most of the other pics hade references/photo credits, but mine was missing that. So I sent a mail to the MLP forum stating that they had a copy right infringement going on, but that I was cool with it if they gave me credit for the picture and linked to the original thread and my webpage. They responded by removing the picture... They surely know which winders they like and which they doesn't like!

Comment

Peter those pictures are still posted there & thanks ... Here's a question .do all firebird pickups from the 60's have ferrous plates & did they all have the small B-string plate
          "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

The steel plate on the bottom completes the magnetic circuit and should make the pickup louder and fuller sounding.

The steel plate on the top will attenuate the output of those strings. It's shorting out the magnetic circuit. Maybe the plain strings back then were too loud compared to the rest. Kind of the way fender staggers the magnets.

I wouldn't use it myself.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
              The steel plate on the top will attenuate the output of those strings. It's shorting out the magnetic circuit. Maybe the plain strings back then were too loud compared to the rest. Kind of the way fender staggers the magnets.
              In the thread, it's mentioned that care was taken to isolate the b-string plate from actual contact with the magnets. But I do know what you mean; but if strings are so different now, and more balanced or whatever - why do so many modern pickups still have a feature to subdue the b-string? Is there something about the frequency that causes it to jump out and sound louder (mostly human biology I'm referring to here)? There are lots of designs that only subdue the b-string, so I'm not worried about "vintage" selling points, nostalgic crap. I could google this, and probably will; but I would like a more focused answer, from the perspective of someone who does what we do.

Comment

Originally posted by rhgwynn View Post
                In the thread, it's mentioned that care was taken to isolate the b-string plate from actual contact with the magnets. But I do know what you mean; but if strings are so different now, and more balanced or whatever - why do so many modern pickups still have a feature to subdue the b-string? Is there something about the frequency that causes it to jump out and sound louder (mostly human biology I'm referring to here)? There are lots of designs that only subdue the b-string, so I'm not worried about "vintage" selling points, nostalgic crap. I could google this, and probably will; but I would like a more focused answer, from the perspective of someone who does what we do.
                The reason we still se "vintage staggered" pole pieces (and if so see Firebird pickups with the B-string plate) is sales and marketing pitch. The "Vintage Correct" phrase have helped ship thousands of wrongly constructed pickups the last 15-20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by rhgwynn View Post
                  In the thread, it's mentioned that care was taken to isolate the b-string plate from actual contact with the magnets.
                  If the plate is steel, it will be shorting out the magnetic circuit. It doesn't matter if it's touching the magnets or not. It's in the magnet's field.
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Naglitsch View Post
                    The reason we still se "vintage staggered" pole pieces (and if so see Firebird pickups with the B-string plate) is sales and marketing pitch. The "Vintage Correct" phrase have helped ship thousands of wrongly constructed pickups the last 15-20 years.
                    Yep. I make guitar pickups with blades, and every string is balanced as far as output.

It's just slavishly copying the old designs for no good reason at all. Staggered pickups sound very unbalanced to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X