Any KT88 recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any KT88 recommendations?

Looking to re-tube an original Bluesbreaker amp. Guy doesn't like the EH's he has now. Wondering what to use as I don't have a lot of experience with KT66s. Why are they so darned expensive compared to a 6L6 say?
    Last edited by Randall; 03-18-2014, 09:46 PM. Reason: error
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Originally posted by Randall View Post
    Looking to re-tube an original Bluesbreaker amp. Guy doesn't like the EH's he has now. Wondering what to use as I don't have a lot of experience with KT88s. Why are they so darned expensive compared to a 6L6 say?
    KT88, or KT66?
    I thought the bluesbreaker and original JTM45s used KT66s.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      KT88, or KT66?
      I thought the bluesbreaker and original JTM45s used KT66s.
      T
      DOH! Yes of course you are right, it's KT66s. Edited OP.
      It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

As far as the price goes, it is probably mostly due to volume. 6L6 is probably the most widely used and produced power tube, so any other lower production type will be relatively more expensive. The KT66/JTM mythology may also have some impact on the price.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g-one View Post
          As far as the price goes, it is probably mostly due to volume. 6L6 is probably the most widely used and produced power tube, so any other lower production type will be relatively more expensive. The KT66/JTM mythology may also have some impact on the price.
          I have read where quite a few guys just run 6L6s.
          Don't know if that would be a mismatch, or any issues with bias.
          But It might be worth a shot.
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

I've used the Shuguang China KT66, probably cheapest of the lot. Tried a series of tubes in a Marshall RI '45. These sounded best, compared to 6L6GC GE, 6L6GC Sylvania & 6L6GC MSTR Ruby pairs. Shuggie KT66 won the day and also measured lowest power 28 watts @ clip.
            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Working...
            X