Ibanez SST acoustic gutar preamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez SST acoustic gutar preamp

This is a long shot. Does anyone have the schematic?
    Sounds OK for a fraction of a second when the cable is
    first plugged into the guitar, then volume fades out quickly.
    Tuner seems to work though.

Doug

I don't recall ever seeing a schematic for any preamp.

Check any & all opamps for Vdc on an output pin. (that would indicate a failed IC)

If not that, you may have a coupling cap going south.

Comment

Try to address to Ibanez Collectors World forum:
      Login

Comment

The problem seems to be in the power supply section, It runs on 2 penlite cells and must have a voltage converter.
        The main board TL064 pin 4 is +6V, pin 11 is -3V. A little odd but could be OK.
        On the tuner board there is a 358 dual op-amp with -3V on pin 4, -3V on pin 8. Definitely not OK.
        I see on another Board this was a common problem and was fixed by replacing with a new version preamp
        I'll check the Ibanez Collectors Forum.

Thanks
        Doug

Comment

I fixed the power supply problem. There was a bad connection on a capacitor in the charge-pump circuit which is an SOT23-6 chip marked "SO3A" (LM2664). However that didn't fix the audio. The sound is clean and loud for the first half second, then it fades out. DC voltages are centered at the op-amp outputs. The mystery continues...

Doug

Comment

It is really tough repairing these little things!

No schematic or board layout.

Punt: check any & all of the opamp output pins.

In all likelyhood, one of them will show as dropping out.

Comment

After spending way too much time on this, tracing parts of the schematic and general messing around, I found the solution.
              There is a 2SK30 FET for muting the output when the tuner is on. I had to add a 10M resistor from the gate to +3v to make it switch on and off the way it should.

Doug

Comment

Yeah, time consuming, to say the least.

I like when the traces run under a bunch of parts & Then go into a through hole.

Great fix, but it is does beg the question: 'what is wrong that you had to do that '?

Comment

I'm guessing it's a marginal design. A little leakage current would keep it biased the right way, but not reliably over time.
                  There is a discussion about it here: AEQ-SST preamp stopped working. Does any other preamp fit... - Technical Support - Ibanez Forum

Here is my Mod:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/a...1&d=1395267829
                  Attached Files

Comment

My AEL2012E has recently developed this same issue. I figured that I may as well give dmeek's fix a go before looking for a replacement. Dis-assembly is relatively straightforward, you will need to de-string in order to put a hand inside, through the sound hole. You will need a very fine bit for your soldering iron, but the mod is very simple to do, any electronics hobbyist could do it. The fix has successfully restored the audio output from the preamp. I would like to thank dmeeks working this one out.

Dave.

Comment

I have an update on this.
                      I had another SST to repair with the same symptoms but my fix described above
                      didn't work. I traced out more of the circuit and found the transistor (Q2) which
                      provides the switching voltage to the gate of the FET, wasn't switching reliably.
                      I changed the smd emitter-base resistor R64 on the smaller board.
                      Was 47K (473), now 4.7K (472).

Doug

Here is a schematic for those interested. My modifications in red

http://music-electronics-forum.com/a...1&d=1413833651
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by dmeek; 10-20-2014, 07:34 PM. Reason: fix attachment

Comment

Please have You complete schematic of Ibanez SST preamp ? Thanks.

Comment

I wish I did. I spent a few hours tracing most of it. the result is a very messy
                          drawing full of errors I'm sure. I didn't trace the power supply fully. It is an
                          smd LM2664 voltage converter which outputs +6V, +3V, and -3V.
                          If I have time I'll clean up the rest of the schematic which will at least
                          be a rough guide for signal tracing and repair.

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by tchewtch View Post
                            My AEL2012E has recently developed this same issue. I figured that I may as well give dmeek's fix a go before looking for a replacement. Dis-assembly is relatively straightforward, you will need to de-string in order to put a hand inside, through the sound hole. You will need a very fine bit for your soldering iron, but the mod is very simple to do, any electronics hobbyist could do it. The fix has successfully restored the audio output from the preamp. I would like to thank dmeeks working this one out.

Dave.
                            So two days ago my 2005 AEL20 had the same problem. The 10M fix worked with no issues. Radio Shack has a five pack of of 10 Mohm 1/4 watt resistors for $1.50. To aid in install put a tiny hook on one end of the resistor and feed it around the gate leg. (You will have to trim the lead length first) then bend the other lead so it will land right on top of the target resistor, but don't trim until after it is soldered using it as a handle. Put a tiny bit of solder on the hook and the spot that will solder to the board resistor. Put the 10M in position and touch the gate joint with the soldering iron. do the same on the other end and trim excess lead. Thanks for the info!! DrewV

Comment

Hum

Originally posted by DrewV View Post
                              So two days ago my 2005 AEL20 had the same problem. The 10M fix worked with no issues. Radio Shack has a five pack of of 10 Mohm 1/4 watt resistors for $1.50. To aid in install put a tiny hook on one end of the resistor and feed it around the gate leg. (You will have to trim the lead length first) then bend the other lead so it will land right on top of the target resistor, but don't trim until after it is soldered using it as a handle. Put a tiny bit of solder on the hook and the spot that will solder to the board resistor. Put the 10M in position and touch the gate joint with the soldering iron. do the same on the other end and trim excess lead. Thanks for the info!! DrewV
                              Since doing the mod I am getting a low level 60hz hum on both the 1/4" and XLR outputs. I can eliminate it by touching the input jack. I replaced the input assembly because of a bad 1/4" input jack. Is anyone else gotten this with the mod? thanks DrewV

Comment

Working...
                              X