Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6 string jazz bass pickups. Any parts out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 string jazz bass pickups. Any parts out there?

I can find parts to construct 4 and 5 string jazz bass pickups but not 6 string. Does anyone know where I can find parts?

I don't know where to get those long JB 6 String Pickups either?
    An alternative, is to route the holes a bit larger, you could install Soapbar humbucker pickups.
    That is what I would do especially if your dealing with a import, and not a classic item.
    Mojotone EMG Style 2-Hole Mount Soapbar Bass Pickup Cover Black (6 String)
    6 String Bass Blade Pickup Bobbin
    Ceramic 8 Bar Magnet 3.33" Long
    The pickup parts are cheap and fairly easy to make, and they are noise free.
    I did that with a 4 string bass, and it works and sounds great.
    T
    Last edited by big_teee; 03-21-2014, 01:30 PM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

There's no standard for a 6 string J pickup let alone for a 5 string. I've seen some folks simply add tabs to the lower flatwork and screw down from there with shorter mounting screws and no cover at all, just black tape around the coils (Joe Bardon does the tabs at least). WSC should have some 4-1/16" J covers which might be long enough for a narrow 6 string but you'll need to order a bunch.

Comment

So David is there a spacing that could work for most people for a 6 so they can be drawn up cad wise and machined in small quantities. The only prob will always be the cover as they are injection molded and won't work as a vacumm job.

Comment

The bridge pickup on my 6 string bass is 4 inches and the neck is 3 15/16. Yeah it has very close string spacing.

Comment

Jonson, everything from 13mm-19mm is out there. If I had to choose one I'd probably go with 16.5mm but that would be wrong 80% of the time.

D-tron, are you referring to the cover lengths? That's not really meaningful if the internal structure doesn't match the string spacing or the radius. Fender's 5 string covers are 3 7/8" and 4-1/8" but as far as I know no one sells them yet. I would just recycle the pickups you have by changing the magnets or adding more wire. It's perfectly acceptable to shoehorn whatever other parts you can find into the covers provided the spacing works out. Of course it's often much easier to rout the cavities in the bass to a different size as Terry suggested above.

Comment

Working...
            X