No announcement yet.

Sewing Machine Coil Winder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John....fantastic looking machine! I may do the same at some point....I have not wound anything on my machine yet, but Ive heard others say anywhere from 700-1200rpms it will stay accurate....It sounds like others have also had the best luck with rare earth magnets.
    -Erin

Comment

After much thought about how frustrating it would be guide wire from the bottom of the guide, I custom made a motor mount out of a piece of angle bracket, and reversed the motor. Worked like a charm! 2 rolls of wire (1 PE, 1 Poly) on the way....I should be winding soon!
      -Erin

Comment

Nice work! Looks like it's gonna be a champ! I've officially wound 8 pickups now with my winder and it is so much fun! Absolutely love the challenge of it, and the reward is extraordinary. When I plugged my guitar in with my new pickups and realized that they sounded better than my Dimarzio virtual vintage pups, I just about flipped! So much fun. Say, where did you decide to get your wire? Do you mind if I ask per lb. cost on those? I've heard rumblings that MWS wire is the only one manufacturing REAL PE wire, and I need to grab some of that stuff. I started with the poly since it is so much cheaper, and even those pups sounded better than my dimarzios, I can hardly wait to hear them with plain enamel! Good luck!!!

John

Comment

I ended up ordering wire from Mojo. Spendier than MWS, but I didnt want to buy a 5lb spool! I think for both spools it was around $50+ship. I just cannot fathom buying/needing 5lbs of wire right at the moment. My first victim will be a dead/stripped Dimarzio super distortion. =) (I think I'll rewind it to something slightly less hot) BTW...I saved my original motor mount, that way I can put the motor back in its original position and reverse wind

Comment

You know, an easier way to reverse wind would be to put a limiter on the other side of the machine and wind from the other side. May be a little easier??? Good luck on the winding! it's tons of fun and very rewarding!!

Comment

John,
              I'll look into how to mount another limiter. Good idea!

Comment

I dont know why I didnt think of this befoe, but you could always mount your whole machine on a piece of plywood with it protruding a bit on either side and just make a mount for your limiter to attach to the plywood. when im doing stuff like this, my philosophy is to make as few attachments on a non flat surface as possible. But I'm also a little bit lazy. And want things to fit perfecc perfectly without too much modification or elbow grease!

Comment

John,
                  Im of the same mindset. I dont like my own creations to look "hacked" together. Im thinking I could mount the limiter on the other side, low to the wheel....that may work. I can make a mount for the limiter that mounts right to the side of the box.

Comment

Here is the simplest one I have seen
                    Shut up and play

Peace and Tone The Rain Mann

Comment

• Originally posted by captcoolaid View Post
                      Here is the simplest one I have seen
                      Even that can get the job done with good results ,with some fine tuning & practise ,,....nice....
                      "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Working...
                      X