Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I love the 5e3. Just not mine! Please help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, figured it out. I didn't have a wire on the back. Oddly enough, on both fiber boards that I built, I didn't have this wire. I can't believe I missed it twice. Sounds great. One thing is that when I crank it and hit the low E string, it sounds like the amp is going to blow up. HA! I'll deal with it. The amp totally sounds like Blue Jean Blues by ZZ Top.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	833010

Comment

It get's better as you start understanding the circuits more. You won't miss things like that as much because you'll no longer be building entirely rote.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Rote? What I really really need is to teach myself how to read these things.

http://www.recproaudio.com/diy_pro_a..._5e3_schem.gif

The amp tech looked at my amp and couldn't figure it out. Said it looked fine, touched up some solders, but it didn't work. So he read that schematic and found the problem in about 2 minutes, soldered on a wire and away I went. Made me a little upset that I didn't catch it. When I get home, I'm gonna make sure it was that wire.

Comment

My point is that if he had built the amp that wire wouldn't have been missing because he would have know it had to be there for the circuit to work. When you're just copying you don't notice these things.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Hey all. 2 updates. Well 3. One is that I love you guys for helping me out. Secondly, my dad, unknowing to me, bought a 5e3 kit and brought it over and said build it. Knocked it out in 4 hours while he was at the mall and it worked perfectly as soon as I switched it on. Must say, it looks better inside than mine does. Bought new, stiffer wire and that really helped. Also bought really really skinny solder so it heats quicker and is easier to get into small spaces.

THIRDLY and lastly, my two volume knobs on my 5e3 aren't interacting. They both work perfectly if I'm plugged into their respective channels, but if I'm in the normal channel and turn it up to like 4 it's nice and warm and cleanish and then I try to crank up the bright channel volume to like 12, nothing happens just gets more hissy. If I don't turn up the bright channel, it's nice and no noise. So what's going on and why aren't the volumes interacting? I checked wiring and everything, nada wrong.

Comment

Could be a failed pot from excess soldering and heat. If one pot is acting as a variable resistor that might explain it. What happens when you plug into the mic channel and adjust the normal channel?

Comment

If I'm plugged into the bright channel, the bright volume works fine, if I'm plugged into the normal channel the normal channel volume works fine, and the tone pot works fine for the bright channel (on 5e3's the tone pot doesn't affect the normal channel). The only thing is that the volumes don't interact. So I don't see how it could be a failed pot. And no matter what channel I'm in, they don't interact.

Comment

Oh btw, here's how it sounds.

Comment

The mojotone schematic (http://music-electronics-forum.com/a...-schematic.pdf) shows an option for independant volumes, is it wired that way?
                    Otherwise compare yours to the one that works and see if there is a wiring difference at the input area.
                    Originally posted by Enzo
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                    X