Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do with my 5E3? What can I turn it into?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with my 5E3? What can I turn it into?

One of the first amps I built was a 5E3 and when I did it I used much larger iron than needed. So I have a Weber PT spec'd for a Bassman and a 40 watt OT.

It's a good sounding 5E3 but I am not using it at all. So what can I morph this thing into using the turret board and chassis as is? Wild suggestions welcome!

Add a reverb unit to it. See the Gibson BA-15RV for their version of a 5E3 power amp with a Gibson front end and reverb.

Comment

With that iron I might just idealize it as a single channel BF preamp with a LTP PI and 6L6's. Guaranteed useful tone at gigging volume. Add a Tube Screamer and it's all gravy.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by nashvillebill View Post
        Add a reverb unit to it. See the Gibson BA-15RV for their version of a 5E3 power amp with a Gibson front end and reverb.
        That's an idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
          With that iron I might just idealize it as a single channel BF preamp with a LTP PI and 6L6's. Guaranteed useful tone at gigging volume. Add a Tube Screamer and it's all gravy.
          So a Proluxe with fixed bias?

Comment

Nope. More like a "normal" channel blackface Fender. The Proluxe is what you'd have is you plugged 6l6's into your amp and used fixed bias. So not very different at all.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
            X