Ubuntu- Moved pdf files, can't be open- Permissions Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu- Moved pdf files, can't be open- Permissions Error

May the bright sunlit day be smiling favorably upon your faces people. I've had several memorable conversations here since joining. Today I'd like to get some assistance on my Ubuntu system.

In many ways this operating system is as problematic as XP but the problems are not as catastrophic and the security may be better.

Here's the hook: I moved some files from a Flash drive which has the boot-able operating system on it, to the hard drive, which is formated as ntfs. When I attempt to open a .pdf file that has moved from the Flash drive to the Hard drive I get a error related to permissions. I don't have permission to open that file. Any other file is accessible. The files were either created and originally stored on the Flash drive or downloaded and saved to the Flash drive; Then moved to the Hard drive at a later time.

Using gparted, a partition editor and information program I observe the ntfs partition with the files in question has a little key icon to the left of the format mode information. I observe the same icon associated with the Flash drive, also the system boot drive.

My position on the system is as Administrator.

Any ideas what I need to do to get access to the files moved. I don't recall if I asked this questio previously...

Thanks for any assistance.

Silverfox

Hi SF:
    After Transferring the files, they now belong to root.
    You need to change owner from root to your user account.
    You will have to do this from Command line from Terminal.
    Use chown to change ownership and chmod to change rights.
    This page will explain it.
    command line - Change folder permissions and ownership - Ask Ubuntu
    Good Luck,
    T
    "Using gparted, a partition editor and information program I observe the ntfs partition with the files in question has a little key icon to the left of the format mode information. I observe the same icon associated with the Flash drive, also the system boot drive".

All the little key means in gparted, is that partition is mounted, and is active.
    Last edited by big_teee; 03-27-2014, 06:20 PM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Thanks. I should get a chance to try that tonight. PST.

Silverfox.

Comment

Working...
      X