No announcement yet.

407 plate voltage 5e3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The PT is the key, most important component in an amp, and you may have an unsuitable PT for a 5E3, or perhaps any 6V6 amp. It may be better suited to higher rated tubes in a fixed bias amp.
    Yes there are get arounds but they seem akin to hammering a round peg into a square hole.
    My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What is the mA spec on that HV winding? That would be a good indicator of whether that PT is intended for a higher wattage amp. Which seems likely.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Check the video in post #1 & the reply in post #4 here:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t40643/

Should clear up any questions of "can it be done & will it sound good?"

Justin

Edit: Bill Kirchen playing your amp doesn't hurt, either!
        Last edited by Justin Thomas; 10-26-2015, 05:03 PM.
        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

The plausibility ends at some extreme though. I sim'd 375-0-375 on PSUD2 and the 5Y3 rectifier types produced 430Vp, but the toughest one just couldn't hang. I had to go to a 5u4 which produced 460Vp!

I suppose you could add resistance to the 5u4 circuit to bring it down (a 100R drops it to 440Vp). There's the "string of zeners" voltage reduction too. I'd probably go with the added resistance just to soften the amp a bit more at those high voltages. I've read some posts here where 440Vp has been done with modern 6V6's. Lots of old Fenders run at 420+Vp with modern wall voltages. But all these examples assume a moderate AB1 bias point. And a "proper" 5E3 bias point is generally pretty hot. I wouldn't run ANY 6V6's hot with 440Vp.

That amp in the link DOES sound good though Perhaps Mick will tell us just how much higher the voltages are on that amp.?.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
          X