Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marshall Short Part II (old subject new thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Short Part II (old subject new thread)

Here’s a new thread on an old subject. Valvehead here posted a thread titled “Marshall Short” that described all of the symptoms that I am experiencing. His was a model 8100 mine is the 80 watt combo the 8080. Same schematic with the exception of a few different resistor values. Let me say that I am very much an amateur in troubleshooting when the problem is not obvious (shorted, burnt in half, broken traces, bad solder joints, etc.) Last summer I tried the shotgun parts replacement method a couple of times. The first two times I had TR8 and TR10 swapped……..duh. When I realized it I replaced several parts in the power section in case damage had spread. Sorry if this seems long winded but I have done a lot and don’t want to leave anything out. Here is what was last replaced:
    D1, 2, 4, 5
    ZD1, 2
    TR4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
    IC7, 8 (just because)
    R73, 74, 96, 97, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118…….(112, 113, 114 were really cooked but probably not the problem)
    BR1
    C17, 20, 40, 41, 53, 55, 59, 61, 62

After doing this it worked plugged into a light bulb current limiter. Played it for at least 20 minutes. Plugged it directly into the wall and it lasted 20 seconds. Blew the fuse and both TR8 &10 are shorted again. I left it alone for about 6 months and decided to have another go at it. I hate it when things get the best of me.

Recently I took the long road. I lift every resistor out of the circuit and checked their value. All but one were within tolerance.R118 which is a .33 was reading .7…….just wondering if that is enough imbalance to cause the problem. I decided to try some voltage readings based on points on the schematic. TR8 and TR10 are out of the PCB. I soldered some leads in their place to make it easy to read with my meter. Also left the preamp tube out……thought it was unimportant for this round of testing. Correct me if I’m wrong. Most of the points were for the + and – 15V rails. Here’s the results from that:
    R65 = +15.2V
    R64= -15.2V
    R78= -14.9V
    R83= +15.2V
    R96= +2.3V
    R118= +2.3V
    IC 2 thru 10 ……pin4 -15.2V, ………pin8 (and 7 on a couple) +15.5V
    Here’s where it gets different from what I have read of others with the same issue:
    TR8 B= +47.6V
    C= +47.7V
    E= +2.3V
    TR10 B= -47V
    C= -47.7V
    E= +2.3V
    TR9 B= -46.9V
    C= +46.9V
    E= -46.9V

Anything seem incorrect to you guys? Remember don’t be too technical because I’m an amateur. Thanks!!!!

I lengthened wires on the transformer to get the PCB out of the chassis and make it easier to work with while troubleshooting. [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Of course we are gonna want the schematic right on the page for quick access, so here it is...

http://www.amparchives.com/Amp%20Arc..._8080_8100.pdf
      When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Oops........Thanks DrGonz I got so rapped up in not leaving anything out that I had forgotten that.

Comment

Can anyone tell me what the voltages are suppose to be on the B/C/E on TR8, 9, 10?

Comment

So you are seeing 47vDC on the the collectors of TR8 & TR10 and that part is good. However, I do believe that you only want to see just milivolts on the emitters like less than 300mv, preferrably less than 100mvDC. On the bases I would actually expect to see around 1-3vDC(low voltages) depending on voltage readings using a lamp limiter and all. Are you using a limiter with these readings? Do you have DC on the output? The voltages seem a bit high... Are the filter caps rated at 50volts?

Another note is that I would not expect to see those numbers on the TR9. That part looks bad.

Refer to the other Marshall short thread and read posts #15 and 17....

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t34257-2/

Comment

This was without the limiter. I will answer more later when I get home from work.

Comment

So if I read that correctly I should not be getting more than 1V or less on the base and emitter of TR8 and 10? The fact that these outputs are not installed right now is OK for troubleshooting correct? If not should I install new ones and be checking with it plugged into the limiter?

Comment

And of course I will read through all of the related threads and use that info to troubleshoot so that I'm not just leaning on you guys to repeat things you've already suggested to someone else.

Comment

Do not remove the amp from a limiter until the very end when we know the amp is not on life support anymore. It can help save you from causing further damage to the circuit and save you in cost of blown fuses. But currently the amp is not blowing fuses, so that is a good thing. However you never answered my question about having DC voltage on the output of the amp. Rule of thumb is that we should not connect a speaker to an amp that has DC voltage on the output. We need to know if the amp is putting out DC...

Also I am a bit confused by the pic you attached that shows the TR8-TR10... I have seen pics of the output transistors placed in the orientation like in the pic I have attached. What exact type of transistors are in the TR8 and TR10 position? Is TR9 connected with something insulating it from making contact to the heat sink? Do a continuity check between the screw and the metal tab on TR9 to make sure.

Foremost, we need some answers to these question to be able to help. best regards.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	marshallValvestate.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	833020

Comment

I am using TIP142 in TR8 and TIP147 in TR10. I currently have the blown ones out and have soldered some clip leads in it's place to give me a place to check voltage coming to those spots. This is where I'm green and it sounded logical to me but it may be the wrong thing to do. Having either of the two out of the circuit and the fuse does not blow. But I will need to put them back in to see if there is DC voltage at the speaker output correct? And I have not had a speaker connected throughout the troubleshooting process. I realize with tube amps you either have to have a speaker or a dummy load on it but not with SS, as far as I know. All 3 transistors are properly insulated from the metal heat sink. I have checked that numerous times. Only TR9 has the bolt running through it. The rest are held down by a bar that bolts across them. The insulators are new from when I first replaced those.

So I need to reinstall TR8 and TR10, plug into the limiter, and check the speaker output for DCV............correct?

Comment

Yes we need the transistors in place to measure if they are putting DC on the output. Use a 40watt bulb in the limiter as to keep the voltage down and the fuse should not pop with limiter in place. Yup you won't need a speaker or load for solid state troubleshooting at this stage. Also, (with amp off) check the transistors TR8-TR10 for any obvious shorts and even test using diode setting on your meter. Good luck.

Comment

40 watt bulb in limiter.........outputs reinstalled

.014v on the red speaker wire with respect to ground/earth

The bulb lit and dimmed quickly

Comment

Tr8 b=+1.2v, c=+36.8v, e=+.023v
                            tr10 b=-1.17v, c=-36.8v, e=-0v
                            tr9 b=-.54v, c=+1.23v, e=-1.17v

Comment

Very well it looks like the amp is holding up and that you must have gotten all the bad parts out. I think trying a higher watt bulb like 60-75watts is always my next step, but so far so good. At this point I would advise to re-read Juan's post on the other Marshall short thread, post #17. Follow his advice on that post to the T. If you are confused with any of the steps that he gives then ask the question here in the thread. I am a bit of a novice here and really rely on the experts of the site. Fact is though that I don't think you have a short and it appears that your DC offset is balanced perfectly.

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                              Your output transistor measuremets look *perfect*
                              yet I would not pull the lamp limiter until I make these tests:

1) re-re-measure DC voltage (no speaker connected) at the speaker out rail.
                              Expect less than 100mV , in fact less than 50 V , any polarity there. This tells me DC balance is fine.

2) remeasure from TR8 emitter to TR10 emitter (thus across R118 and R96), I expect less than 20 mV.
                              This tells the amp is not overbiased.

3) without turning it off, reconnect speaker.
                              Remeasure 1 and 2 , then apply some music.
                              You shoukd be able to get a few Watts into that speaker, 4 or 5W are quite loud, and bulb should blink to the rhythm of the music.

4) only then connect straight to wall power, no limiter.

5) rise volume and annoy neighbours.
                              Heatsink should only get moderately warm to the touch, definitely niot unbearably hot.

As you see, same as JPB suggested, only slightly more paranoid

Comment

Working...
                              X