Questions on routers and switches...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on routers and switches...

I tried hooking up a Netgear GS ProSafe 5 port gigabit switch GS105v4 and it cut my download pipe from ~50Mbps to 3Mbps. Is this to be expected? The lights on the switch indicate that there is a 1000BASE-T connection to my computer. FWIW the lights indicate that there is only a 100BASE-TX connection to my ASUS RT-N13U(B1) yet when I plug my computer into the router my download pipe is around 50Mbps.

Is there any setup or configuration required for the switch? The instructions just show that you need to plug it in. My understanding was that a switch was like a traffic cop, allowing more than one device to share an internet connection. (I had used one 8 or 10 years ago and noticed no degradation of bandwidth.

Any explanations would be appreciated! (I have a new wireless router that I haven't hooked up yet. I've been having problems since adding a Roku to my setup, along with a VoIP box that I got last September. I got a new cable modem from my ISP but have still been getting erratic behavior.)

Steve

EDIT I just tried speedtest and it is back up to 50Mbps. I did want to be sure that I have the multipliers right: a 100Mbps connection through the router is twice as much as the 50Mbps speed measured? How does wireless compare to those numbers? From the specs on the ASUS router

802.11b : 1, 2, 5.5, 11Mbps
    802.11g : 6,9,12,18,24,36,48,54Mbps
    802.11n : up to 300Mbps

1 x RJ45 for 10/100 BaseT for WAN, 4 x RJ45 for 10 BaseT for LAN

EDIT2 I rechecked speed and its back to 10, 12 and 6Mbps in successive tests...
    Last edited by Steve A.; 04-08-2014, 03:45 AM.
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/
Working...
X