Foxey Lady Guild - What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foxey Lady Guild - What do you think?

So I have this old Foxey Lady pedal and just can't figure out what it is exactly. I know that the case is late 60's early 70's and that makes sense to the time period. However, all the Foxey Lady pedals from that time do not have guts like this one. It's on a protoboard and all the parts are definitely old. Now someone built this circuit to be like that fuzz effect, and used IC chips instead of transistors. Has anyone seen any other Foxey Lady like this one before? I have seen quite a few Foxey Ladies in my time, but this is my first pedal type. Here are some pics...
    Attached Files
    When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

I don't think Mike Mattews would build a pedal on perf board.

I do like the little clip thingies for the component leads.

A little F L history: Article of the Bi-Month "Of EH, Mosrite and Guild"

http://www.dominocs.com/Library/Mosrite_and_Guild.htm

Comment

Now why would ANYONE arrange for professional silk-screening of graphics, and include a perf-build?

Perhaps more importantly, no Foxey Lady ever used a 4049 hex invertor chip. I think someone may have tried to build an Anderton Tube Sound Fuzz (the original, that appeared in the Jim Messina cover issue of GP, not the EPFM version) into a Foxey Lady chassis.

Comment

Doc, you can check it against this, I think it's the one mark mentioned. 741 is a single op amp and is what you have in yours.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	tubesnd.gif
Views:	1
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	833096
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

That's the one (thanks!). And the more I look at the schematic and component values in the pics, the more convinced I am....with one exception: the TSF wants an unbuffered 4049, and the pic appears to show a buffered one.

Comment

So someone has an FX pedal they won;t miss and builds a little perf board project in it?
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Yeah I was thinking late 70's. Also I was really thinking it was the original case with some completely different design. The worksmanship on the protoboard is actually pretty nicely put together and solid. Pretty cool when a pedal is point to point wiring even though it's still on a perf board. By way of Mark's comment, g-one found the right circuit as that has to be what is in this thing. Thanks for the info guys!!
              When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Ironically, I think I built an Anderton TSF into an empty Maestro Fuzz chassis for my nephew about 15 years ago. And on perf, no less. Honestly can't recall how I ended up with the box, or if I was the one who removed the guts. All I remember is that it was a sloped brown box, with the stompswitch sitting in the middle of a big rubber grommet, and the input hardwired to the unit through a cable.

And just to be clear, I did NOT build the one in the Foxey Lady! LOL

Comment

Back in the 1970 era, I made an all in one unit for our guitarist, we called in the Guitar Effect Control center... or GECC. He had a fuzz pedal he liked, so I took the guts out of it and mounted them in a panel of a multibutton stomp. There were a couple switchable loop jack pairs so he could trigger in his echoplex or other thing. I turned a bunch of little boxes into one stomp panel the size of my computer keyboard. He liked it, it saved space and made set up quick. A sort of grandfather 's RP7 thing... or something.

I can;t recall the name of the fuzz, he used it for all his Hendrix stuff. Gray, rounded profiles that always reminded me of a 1949 Ford somehow. I desire to know what it was now, maybe an old Tonebender.. Don't recall what we did with the empty pedal.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Yes, but do you have one of these?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Blame Shifter.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	833097
                    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I've built that thing, and derivatives, at least a dozen times.

You'll get a more pleasing sound out of it if you strap on some 47pf caps in parallel with the 1M feedback resistors, and a 100pf cap in parallel with the 390k resistor. The schematic is back from the days before Craig Anderton really had a handle on useful bandwidth. The unit needs to have its bandwidth chopped down to around 3.5-4khz. The suggested caps will provide three "poles" of that and round off the unpleasant edges to the tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hammer View Post
                        ...the unpleasant edges...
                        I'm gonna name my next band this! Thanks

Comment

My sons and I are frequently punctuating our conversation with each other with "That'd make a great band name!". Glad to contribute one your way. :-)

Comment

My latest name for my next band: Piso Mojado

It says that on the little yellow signs they put up after mopping tile floors.

Comment

Wasn't Piso Mojado in Menudo after Ricky Martin left? Or am I confusing him with one of Carlos Santana's old timbale players?

Comment

Working...
                              X