Suggestion on a speaker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
    maybe you're idea of running a square wave isn't a bad one!?! I might stick to 1/3 power for that.
    Square waves eat speakers, especially if you're using solid state to drive 'em. And a tube amp won't deliver a "clean" square anyway, besides you'll hear & maybe not enjoy the noise from a non mounted speaker trying to reproduce a square . . . don't overthink a simple task. Sine is fine. We have enough trouble as it is. Alan says his Marshall is poppin' fuses now. Hevvins to betsy. If it isn't one thing it's another.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
      Square waves eat speakers, especially if you're using solid state to drive 'em. And a tube amp won't deliver a "clean" square anyway, besides you'll hear & maybe not enjoy the noise from a non mounted speaker trying to reproduce a square . . . don't overthink a simple task. Sine is fine. We have enough trouble as it is. Alan says his Marshall is poppin' fuses now. Hevvins to betsy. If it isn't one thing it's another.
      Not that big a deal, I just use another amp. In fact, it's good news as now I know what's going on with the Marshall. One power tube blows after about an hour, the same tube blow, so there is something about that socket or the circuit going to that socket.

Comment

I have been running 30W 70Hz into the speaker, the magnet is not even warm!!! That's a good sign. The cone does move.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
          Square waves eat speakers
          Well... That's bad news for most of us then isn't it
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

It's been over 4 hours. Right now I am running at 82Hz at 15V. Hopefully I can finish this tonight.

Comment

I got 7 hours in, blown two amps!!!! I installed the speaker back in and tested at lower volume with my only amp left......the Pro Reverb. Seems like the bass is not as tight, I don't think the treble soften much, just the bass is softer. Still a big difference from the stock Utah speaker. I have to turn the treble from 6 down to 4 to get close. I remember I had to get down to 3 to get close. So I guess the bass does come up a little after the break in. But it is not good enough.

The sound is acceptable, just too bright. I am considering WGS G12C/S at this point. I have reviews from people that it's is fuller with smoother singing highs. AND People claim it does not need breaking in!!!!

I have to wait till tomorrow to crank up to higher volume, and also fix the amp to try again.

Comment

I don't know if it's indicated in the WGS speaker number but they do offer a broken in version of most of their models.

I think it's important to try the amp at the max volume you will play at. Especially with a more efficient speaker.

A properly broken in speaker will definitely have some highs rolled off. If yours doesn't then I would have to poo poo the 60Hz VAC break in method. It seems all it does is loosen the spider and surround. If the bottom end sounds good now, stick with that speaker. The top end WILL come down. As I said, if you buy a speaker that sounds right out of the box it's going to be too dull later. In my personal amp the C Rex was perfect out of the box. I had to replace it with a Vintage 30 (known to be harsh) to get that sound in a broken in speaker and it took a year!

Patience Grasshopper.
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I think not enough nearly time has been given to the break-in process, period. If you think the Legend 1258 has to much high end, just know that the G12C has even more, even after substantial break-in. I know from personal experience because I have a number of both speakers and gig them regularly. Seriously, you will need at minimum a good 30-40 hours on that speaker playing through it at gig volume before you can assess its performance. To expect otherwise just shows impatience and inexperience.

If you're gonna do the test tone or variac method, just commit to at least 20 hour or so of break-in time, otherwise you are assessing that speaker and the break-in process prematurely, and future speaker purchases in the blind will likely continue to disappoint.

Go back and read the posts by ChuckH because he has hit the nail on the head from the start about what you can and cannot expect from a speaker.

Comment

I don't gig and it is hard to keep playing at gig level at home. So you think I should go buy a 15V transformer and use variac to continue?

Comment

Originally posted by Tone Meister View Post
                      I think not enough nearly time has been given to the break-in process, period. If you think the Legend 1258 has to much high end, just know that the G12C has even more, even after substantial break-in. I know from personal experience because I have a number of both speakers and gig them regularly. Seriously, you will need at minimum a good 30-40 hours on that speaker playing through it at gig volume before you can assess its performance. To expect otherwise just shows impatience and inexperience.

If you're gonna do the test tone or variac method, just commit to at least 20 hour or so of break-in time, otherwise you are assessing that speaker and the break-in process prematurely, and future speaker purchases in the blind will likely continue to disappoint.

Go back and read the posts by ChuckH because he has hit the nail on the head from the start about what you can and cannot expect from a speaker.
                      I am looking at the G12C/S which according to their tone chart has more bass and less treble than the G12C.http://wgs4.com/sites/default/files/WGS2013.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Alan0354 View Post
                        I don't gig and it is hard to keep playing at gig level at home. So you think I should go buy a 15V transformer and use variac to continue?
                        No. I think you should hook up the variac directly to the speaker at 15 VAC and drive it for about ten-to-fifteen 2-hour sessions over the weekend. I have been breaking in speakers that way for about 30 years and it works, although like Chuck H said it still may not make the speaker work for you. Don't try to reinvent the wheel because it is a simple process. If the speaker still has too much treble on Monday then it is not the speaker for you.

I wouldn't use a pair of G12C/S in a Pro Reverb because you may find that a pair doesn't have enough treble. A G12C/G12C/S mix is a good choice.
                        Last edited by Tone Meister; 04-17-2014, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Like Tone Miester said, variac straight into the speaker, no transformer required, just be cautious/safe.
                          Originally posted by Enzo
                          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Don't you worry you over crank and blow the speaker?

Comment

Yes, of course.
                              Personally I use any old 12VAC transformer I have rusting on a shelf, put the speaker on the floor , facing up and sitting on a folded towel so as not to scratch its back.
                              Acoustic level from a 60Hz signal out of an unmounted speaker is very low, not annoying at all.
                              Well, mabe at 3 AM but not during the day.

That said, I guess Alan got used to those old Oxfords, Utah, etc. and none of them has real highs, even less those 20/30 years old , so to expect anything new to sound like them is sort of impossible.

Much more important: anything which sounds like them out of the box, WILL BE DULL AS H*LL IN A FEW MONTHS USE.
                              The only path in that ladder goes down, never up.

Personally I would use "whatever Fender uses" , in, say, an HRD or something, and get used to that because that's reality.

And "whatever Fender uses" is some Legend or another.

And remember that WHAT LEO LISTENED AT WHEN DEVELOPING HIS AMPS some 40/50 years ago must have been some quite sharp and biting sounding speakers ... fresh out of the box.

I very much doubt he chased old worn speakers to develop his amps.
                              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by Alan0354 View Post
                                Don't you worry you over crank and blow the speaker?
                                No, you monitor the voltage at the speaker. If you want to blow up the speaker you plug it straight into the wall outlet .
                                Originally posted by Enzo
                                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                                X