Suggestions re. Gauss meter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions re. Gauss meter?

I'm about to start designing some new pickups, and it's time to get a new, reasonably priced Gauss meter. Any suggestions? What are the latest, greatest choices?

I just bought a new gauss meter, but it is attached to a new winder.
    I really like it.
    I know you have a CNC, but If you are going to make some proto types you may need or want to do some by hand.
    Mojotone Pickup Winding Machine.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Turner View Post
      I'm about to start designing some new pickups, and it's time to get a new, reasonably priced Gauss meter. Any suggestions? What are the latest, greatest choices?
      I have 2 gauss meters. I prefer the Spin Doctor as it is nice and compact.

Gravitas Technology - Home

If I remember correctly, there is a set of plans or a kit to build one somewhere on the forum.

Hope that helps.
      Take Care,

Jim. . .
      VA3DEF

Comment

Thanks, guys.

My CNC machine is a wood router...a Techno Isel RG 5996, not a coil winder.

I wind on a "vintage" CoWeCo "laboratory winder"...the ultimate in pre-digital, pre-electronic machines. It's all cams and change gears...totally steam punk in it's own delightful manner. The great thing is that I can hold exact turns and +/- about 2% DCR with it if I wind a dozen north up and a dozen south up coils.

But I'm looking at that Brit CNC winder as a back-up. The CoWeCo isn't going to wind forever...

BTW, laser cut custom bobbin parts...whooeee!

There is a whole revolution going on with regard to high precision parts for limited production at an affordable price.

I'll post pics of my 3D printed piezo pickup parts soon...the brackets to hold the piezo ceramic blocks...

Comment

I have the same Spin Doctor ER linked by kayakerca; well worth the investment! There are some DIY plans out there that look easy enough if you're into it.
          Sigil Pickups ~ Stunt Monkey Pedals

Comment

Thanks, guys.

My CNC machine is a wood router...a Techno Isel RG 5996, not a coil winder.

I wind on a "vintage" CoWeCo "laboratory winder"...the ultimate in pre-digital, pre-electronic machines. It's all cams and change gears...totally steam punk in it's own delightful manner. The great thing is that I can hold exact turns and +/- about 2% DCR with it if I wind a dozen north up and a dozen south up coils.

But I'm looking at that Brit CNC winder as a back-up. The CoWeCo isn't going to wind forever...

BTW, laser cut custom bobbin parts...whooeee!

There is a whole revolution going on with regard to high precision parts for limited production at an affordable price.

I'll post pics of my 3D printed piezo pickup parts soon...the brackets to hold the piezo ceramic blocks...
            I finally set up my new/old Coweco machine this weekend and wound some coils on it. It's a nice machine.
            Last edited by Beef Coon; 04-22-2014, 04:17 PM.
            Bobby, www.TysonTone.com

Comment

The Spin doctor is a good economical meter. I have one that I got as a backup to my Alpha Labs Model One, when it was down once for a few weeks in need of repair, and the Spin doctor gives comparable readings. The Alpha Labs meter I have is/was traceable to NIST. I got it repaired and still use it most of the time just to be consistent with my prior testing. The Spin doctor is nice and compact, has a max reading feature, and I keep it handy on my regular workbench, for double checking and I feel comfortable using it interchangeably with the Alpha Labs on my electronics bench, but it does consistently read a little higher - on average about 5-10%, but YMMV.
              Here are some examples: A5 rod SD=1235, AL=1117; A5 Bar (corner) SD= 752, AL= 678; C8 Bar (corner) SD=1247, AL= 1180.
              www.sonnywalton.com
              How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

With the CoWeCo winder, I have no problem with exact turns and I can match a dozen sets of humbucker coils to +/- 2% DCR with ease, and often it's +/- 1% DCR. And that's with what is probably a 50 year-old winder. it clatters away, and I smile.

Comment

Forgot to add that I've had one of those Spin Doctor meters for about a year and am happy with it.
                  I recommend it as well.
                  Bobby, www.TysonTone.com

Comment

I have both the Ele-Pro MK-II and MK-III Gauss meters. The MK 3 is a little bit bigger but it has some cool extra features like low and high ranges (+-1700g and +- 22000g) and sample average reading as well as the peak hold and current readings. The detachable probe is also nice.

Here's the discussion of MK II http://music-electronics-forum.com/t13187/
                    Mk III is here: http://music-electronics-forum.com/t20033/

Comment

I remember seeing that MKIII thread before I bought the Spin Doctor and wanted to build one, but none of the files or pics were accessible. Anyone still have the plans/schematic/parts list? It could be fun to build a few more up.

I have some plans for another DIY meter to try but it's all theory with no evidence of practical execution.
                      Last edited by CheopisIV; 04-23-2014, 03:29 AM.
                      Sigil Pickups ~ Stunt Monkey Pedals

Comment

I like my AlphaLab Model 1. Very accurate and has never broken down to date. A bit pricey, but well worth it for accurate readings IMO. I also have an R B Annis magnetometer for quick tests to determine relative magnet strength and polarity that I use on occasion.
                        Last edited by Jim Darr; 04-23-2014, 06:59 PM.
                        =============================================

Keep Winding...Keep Playing!!!

Jim

Comment

With the CoWeCo winder, I have no problem with exact turns and I can match a dozen sets of humbucker coils to +/- 2% DCR with ease, and often it's +/- 1% DCR. And that's with what is probably a 50 year-old winder. it clatters away, and I smile.
                          Rick, I know what you mean. I have a COWECO Model W and a Model U likely from the same era. They are built like tanks. One has the original "Clipper Dial Counter" which is still accurate to about 1/4 turn (not that I count a fraction of a turn). The other has an auto-stop Veeder-Root. Both "clatter away" like you said. With proper oiling, lubing, maintenance, and TLC, they should last another 50 to 100 plus years. Very well made machines!!!! I feel very fortunate to own two of these vintage classics.
                          Last edited by Jim Darr; 04-23-2014, 08:04 PM.
                          =============================================

Keep Winding...Keep Playing!!!

Jim

Comment

I'm looking at that CNC winder as well!

A buddy of mine has a 3D printer at his job. He's printed bobbins for me in the past, and recently printed an entire PAF style humbucker, baseplate and all.

Then he had me wind it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	274.2 KB
ID:	833275Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	833276

I have one of the Gauss meters that was offered as a kit on the forum here.
                            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I contacted Gravitas about the Spin Doctor, they doesn't sale out of USA.
                              Greg told me to order it on a distributor website, but the price is $175,00 instead $84.95. More than double!

Anyone have a good alternative?
                              Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X