Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White noise/hiss in vintage Univox Micro Fazer

Hello,

I just received this pedal in super clean condition. Everything works great except for the fact that it has a LOT of hiss when switched on. I am in no way turned off by a fair amount of noise (I love p-90s and other vintage single coils) so it is not just a case of me being picky. My questions is this - from looking at the schematic where would be a good place to look for the culprit(s)? Would changing out the electrolytics help? I know if was a cheap Phaser in it's day so maybe that's just how it rolls but I used to have one as a kid and don't recall it hissing like this.

Any insight greatly appreciated.

Chris

univox-microfazer-schematic.pdf

That schematic is not working, see attached.
    Are the chips socketed? If so that would be the easiest thing to try, swapping in a known good chip.
    Attached Files
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Hey thanks for that! I didn't notice the schematic didn't take. I doubt the chips are socketed but I'm willing to try that because the unit is unusable as is. Here's a shot of the innards from a Fernandes branded one. There are no sockets in here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	fazer-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	833153
      Last edited by distorto; 04-23-2014, 12:42 AM. Reason: mispelling

Comment

If it sweeps and produces audible phase-shifting then the chips are clearly "good". That said, the 1458 is not known for its stellare audioiphile quality. I would suggest replacing two of the chips (IC1 and IC2) with TL072 type. You can certainly try one for IC3, but since it also includes the LFO, there is a chance the LO might not behave normally with the TL072. That said, you can certainly install a socket and see if the TL072 behaves better or worse than the 1458.

Note that installing a "true-bypass" switch is contra-indicated here, unless you make some other changes to the circuit to compensate for volume loss.

Comment

Mark, Thank you for the info. To be clear, the actual phasing sounds really nice other than the hiss. I have a vintage Small Stone and a 70s MXR Phase 45 to compare it to. The Small Stone has just a hint of background hiss that I probably would not have noticed if I weren't specifically listening for it. The Phase 45 is dead quiet. I would really like to get the hiss dialed back because this phaser has a fairly unique quality under all that hiss. I really don't need true-bypass. I'm happy enough with the bypassed tone. I have one TL072 here now and maybe another or two lurking in the electro junk closet. I'll give it a whirl. Thank you both for your help! - Chris

Comment

You guys RULE! I pulled IC1, stuck in a socket, and snapped in the only TL072 I had lying around. Killed nearly all the hiss and the pedal sounds great. Thanks a million - Chris

Comment

Excellent. Nothing succeeds like success!

I love the smell of solder in the morning. It smells like....victory. ( Apocalypse Now - smell of napalm - YouTube )

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hammer View Post
                If it sweeps and produces audible phase-shifting then the chips are clearly "good".
                I'll assume you meant functional rather than "good", as chips that are defective noise-wise can still work normally in many cases.

Glad to hear the problem is solved.
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Yep, that's exactly what I meant.

Comment

Working...
                  X