P90 build/test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P90 build/test

Hi... I've been winding pickups for several years now... For the first few I was making pickups for a boutique guitar company and just built and wound the pickups how my boss told me to make them. I've been trying to experiment with designs lately and also I got an order for some P90s. I did some research online about the differences between baseplates, magnets, and winding technique, but being new to pickup design I thought I would be better served by just doing the testing for myself. I'm in the process of building a set of hot P90s so I decided to build two sets. One that is wound with as little variance in layers as possible and another that is "scatter wound". I also made a pair of nickel silver and brass base plates, and since I have A5 and A2 magnets of slightly different lengths, one being 2.44" long, the others 2.5" I figured I should see if that makes any noticeable difference. I should be done with the pickups/testing by tomorrow and I'll post what I find. Anyone wanna take any guesses of what the results will be?
    Jonny
    BuenaVentura Guitars
    www.buenaventuraguitars.com

Not really going to guess, but I have to ask - where in Raleigh are you??
    Jack Briggs

sigpic
    www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

Competition is getting steep in Raleigh!
      Welcome to the B/H forum.
      I've wound more HBs than anything, but my limited P90 in a H mount.
      With 2 magnets Head to head, I like the A2s and either brass or nickel baseplates.
      I like the more vintage rounder sound.
      If you really overwind, I guess the A5s would shine.
      Let us know what you come up with.
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Hi... Yeah Raleigh is pretty rich with talent, myself excluded. And NC man just forget it there's too many to name... Jack, I'm in west Raleigh kinda between Rex Hospital and Whole Foods on Wade. What about you? btw, I've been a big fan of your work for a long while, keep it up man.
        Jonny
        BuenaVentura Guitars
        www.buenaventuraguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by BuenaVenturaGuitars View Post
          Hi... Yeah Raleigh is pretty rich with talent, myself excluded. And NC man just forget it there's too many to name... Jack, I'm in west Raleigh kinda between Rex Hospital and Whole Foods on Wade. What about you? btw, I've been a big fan of your work for a long while, keep it up man.
          S. Raleigh/Garner for me. been here 4 yrs. prior to that N. Raleigh/Six Forks area.

back to the P90s - I'm with Terry, pretty much like A2 for a little 'bark", but A4s are also favorites for me.
          let us know what you come up with!

cheers,
          Jack Briggs

sigpic
          www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

Working...
          X