Washburn VCC: Dual pot takes each HB from series to parallel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washburn VCC: Dual pot takes each HB from series to parallel

Contrary to popular opinion the VCC (Voice Contour Control) on the Washburn WI64 guitar is *not* a spin-a-split pot (which varies the linkage from HB to single coil) but a dual-ganged 500k linear pot which varies the linkage from series HB to parallel HB.

I haven't tried this out yet so I don't how it works but it is reportedly humcancelling throughout the entire range of the control. With the WI64 there is no tone control- just two volume controls and two VCC controls. I think that it would work better if there was a single VCC wired up to either the bridge or neck pickup along with a global tone control. Or better yet have a single volume control, 2 VCC's and a global tone control. (My PRS SE guitars have global volume and tone controls along with a 3-way selector switch and I don't really miss the option to adjust the mix of the two pickups in the middle position that much.)

Steve Ahola

P.S. I am always knocked out whenever I run across a guitar wiring harness that isn't in the 1980 edition Donald Brosnac book. BTW are there any other guitars that use this wiring trick?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Steve A.; 04-27-2014, 07:43 AM.
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

The real issue is how the humbucker coils sound when run in parallel. I always hated that sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Turner View Post
      The real issue is how the humbucker coils sound when run in parallel. I always hated that sound.
      I think that it depends on the particular humbucker and the sounds that you are looking for. Getting a cleaner sound similar to a single coil but without hum can be good. I have a friend who likes to use SD Hot Rails in his strats but he wires them in parallel. I've wired up several guitars with series/single coil/parallel switches and find all 3 positions very usable. Also being able to blend between the two linkages could offer some interesting sounds.

I picked up a pair of the Washburn WI64 humbuckers dirt cheap but have not tried putting them in a guitar yet. Washburn may have designed the VCC specifically for these pickups- I dunno.

Steve
      The Blue Guitar
      www.blueguitar.org
      Some recordings:
      https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Anyone have any additional info on this. I just picked up a used Washburn WI-64. Someone professionally messed up the wiring installing dragon fire p90 type humbuckers..I'm trying to install some dragon fire screamers..thanks in advance..

Comment

Working...
        X