Ampeg Jet to 5E3 Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg Jet to 5E3 Conversion

I've had this Ampeg Jet for at least 25 years and finally decided to convert it to a more useful 5E3. In my haste, I neglected to take original gut shots, tho. The original PT was shorted and the OT was missing. It also had the 6BK11 and 7591a tubes. Stripped out all r's & c's, made a large hole cover for the 2 9p sockets and put an 8p socket where the multi-filter can was. For new caps and res's I used what I had on hand, same with tubes. The 5Y3 is a NOS Sovtek from the early 90's. Not wanting to drill any holes, I omitted the 2 extra jacks on ea. channel.

I ordered a new Weber 12A125A to replace the original speaker which was real weak. I've also ordered 3 F&T 16uF caps to replace the cheap 22's and an EH 12AY7. I have a used GE that I tried and it sounded smoother than the AX7 shown in the pics.

The whole layout is 180 deg from a 5E3 layout, which made for some real dyslectic brain farts along the way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ChassisJet25E3-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	868439Click image for larger version

Name:	JetTop.jpg
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	868440Click image for larger version

Name:	JetFront.jpg
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	868441Click image for larger version

Name:	ChassisJet25E3-2.jpg
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	868442Click image for larger version

Name:	ChassisJet25E3-3.jpg
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	868443Click image for larger version

Name:	ChassisJet25E3-6.jpg
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	868444Click image for larger version

Name:	ChassisJet25E3-9.jpg
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	868445

Originally posted by T9c View Post
    It also had the 6BK11 and 7591a tubes.

What did you do with your old tubes? I would kill for another 6BK11 for my Jet. It only came with one original the second is a replacement conversion.
    My Builds:
    5E3 Deluxe Build
    5F1 Champ Build
    6G15 Reverb Unit Build

Comment

I have a very tired old 1960 Ampeg Rocket (not Reverb Rocket) I have been threatening to do something similar to for years. It has the 6v6 outputs. It is complete though, if ugly.

Comment

Originally posted by Wittgenstein View Post
        I would kill for another 6BK11 for my Jet.
        Don't do it! They are pricey but not worth the jail time .
        www.thetubestore.com - 6BK11 Audio Tubes

Edit: Sorry for the bum steer, those are actually out of stock .
        Last edited by g1; 08-04-2014, 08:59 PM.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Damn...

They got the same note as everyone else:
          "This item is out of stock."
          I'm afraid they're probably extinct, and if anyone DOES find one, they'll want more than $60 for them. The 1941 D-45 of tubes...

I won't kill for one, but... Luckily I got the last 6C10s in town on the super-cheap... they work. Only diff I could find is one has "IC" on pin 8 & the other has "IS" on pin 8. No other compactrons I know of that have AX7 amplification across all 3 sections.

Good luck!

Justin
          "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
          "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
          "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Now there's a good idea I'm going to use - thank you! I have a demised Jet, bad PT, OT, speaker and used those triple triode pre tubes. Damn if I'm going to pay TheTubeStore $120 + shipping a pair and hope they work. Deeeeluxe, here we come!
            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
              They got the same note as everyone else:
              "This item is out of stock."
              Very sorry about that, I had my script blocker turned on, so I didn't get that message and was able to put one in the cart. Now without the script blocker, I get the "out of stock" message and there are none available to put in the cart.
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by Wittgenstein View Post
                What did you do with your old tubes? I would kill for another 6BK11 for my Jet. It only came with one original the second is a replacement conversion.
                Sorry, I'll be keeping the BK11 for customer repairs if needed (and they can afford it, although I have no idea what it's worth).

edit: I'm not even sure if it's any good!!
                Last edited by T9c; 08-04-2014, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Well, can we send it out on a "whistlestop tour," so we can all try our Ampegs with the PROPER preamp tubes? I'm willing to test it out!

Of course, most of these amps need two...

Justin
                  "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                  "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                  "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

It looks like you have a little more room on the board than a standard 5E3 does. Is the chassis also a little longer? Wish mine had a little extra length to fit my rotary switch in for speaker ohm selection. It might possibly squeeze in now but I would prefer to mount a bracket on the bottom to turn the switch facing rear. My OT has 3 wires, 2.7,4, 8 ohm.
                    sigpicCharlieP
                    (2)Peavey VK 112 2008
                    Fender SuperSonic 60W 112 2010, 5E3 Build Mojotone
                    Met. Red LP Gibson Robot 2008 Tronical Tuners
                    Faded Cherry LP Gibson 2007
                    Fender Strat HSS LSR S1 2008 Pearl
                    Fend FSR Telebot Dlx Candy App 2011 Tronical Tuners
                    Gretsch G5120 2007 Black

Comment

Yes, I believe the Jet board is longer than a 5E3 board. I recently bought a 5E3 turret board and it is a couple of inches shorter.
                      Looking at the Fender field guide, it appears the 5E3 chassis is not as long as an Ampeg Jet's but the whole box appears to be very close to the same.

I'm currently modding an Alamo Titan (5Y3, 2x6v6's, 2x12AX7, 12" Alnico) chassis into a 5E3. It's got front mounted controls, so there's not as much room as the rectangular chassis. Lots of rewiring to do yet.

Good luck on your switch placement. You might look at one of those small aluminum project boxes to keep the switch enclosed.

Comment

Working...
                      X