Gibson Falcon: Does this look right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Falcon: Does this look right?

I picked up a real nice '61 Gibson Falcon and while doing my usual inspection I found this.
    I just want to make sure that cap shouldn't be attached to anything.
    It already had a cap job and grounded plug installed.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Jonny toetags View Post
    I picked up a real nice '61 Gibson Falcon and while doing my usual inspection I found this.
    I just want to make sure that cap shouldn't be attached to anything.
    It already had a cap job and grounded plug installed.
    You need several more well-lit close up photos. From all different angles, so that it's all visible.
    It's not entirely possible to see what you are asking about.
    You don't want to guess, you need to see for certain. There should not be any question, need to be certain.

Comment

Better yet, which control is it attached to.

Comment

I doubt that any amp should have a cap left floating in midair, unless it is some new mojo mod that will make the amp sound awesome.

Agree with the others, we need much more information to know what it is supposed to be for. Gibson was well known for making changes to different amp models, so try and find a schematic that matches your amp and find out what the cap should be connected to.

Out of curiosity, even with the new filter caps does the amp hum some? I notice that the new caps have been added at convenient locations and grounded wherever they could, not at the original ground point.

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
          I doubt that any amp should have a cap left floating in midair, unless it is some new mojo mod that will make the amp sound awesome.

Agree with the others, we need much more information to know what it is supposed to be for. Gibson was well known for making changes to different amp models, so try and find a schematic that matches your amp and find out what the cap should be connected to.

Out of curiosity, even with the new filter caps does the amp hum some? I notice that the new caps have been added at convenient locations and grounded wherever they could, not at the original ground point.
          I haven't turned her on yet.
          I received it in the mail yesterday and needed to tighten and clean a few things.
          The reverb tank came loose in shipping and the piece of wood that holds the chassis needed to be re-glued.
          But she's in great condition w original speaker.

Comment

Here's a schematic:
            Attached Files
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

It's a .22uf / 400V cap

Here are some more pics
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by g-one View Post
                Here's a schematic:
                This one looks more like my tube layout:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	ga-19rvt.gif
Views:	1
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	833313

Comment

First, check the cap to verify it's not shorted. Someone may have unhooked it for a reason.
                  "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Kinda looks like this big guy in the middle:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	original.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	958.6 KB
ID:	833314

Comment

Looking at the front, from left to right, what are the names of the controls?
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g-one View Post
                        Looking at the front, from left to right, what are the names of the controls?
                        Loudness - Tone - Reverberation - Depth - Frequency

Comment

So i just turned her on.
                          Def. something wrong.

Vol and tone seem to work fine, but here's the kicker: the reverb/ trem switch doesn't really work. The trem is on all the time, and depending on whether i touch the switch enclosure and the guitar strings, the reverb intensity and speed change.
                          EDIT:
                          NEVER MIND....ground in the switch was broken off.

With the reverb and trem off, amp is dead quiet.
                          Reverb and trem add a bit of hiss.

Comment

Never mind, found a picture of the controls.
                            Looks like that cap should go to the 3rd leg of the Intensity control.

Comment

Sorry, didn't see the last post. If that's the case, there are other things changed in the trem wiring. Follow where the connections are going from the speed and intensity pots, and the footswitch jack, and compare to the schematic.

Comment

Working...
                              X