gauss readings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gauss readings

just got a spin doctor based on recommendations here but was wondering what typical gauss readings are for rod and bar mags
    thanks

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t25864/
    Post 2 shows some readings I was given a long time ago for Bar magnets.
    Rod magnets are stronger usually than the same type of bar mag.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

I charged and tested 3- .688" rod magnets.
      A3 600-700 Gauss
      A2 750-850 Gauss
      A5 1300-1500 Gauss
      This was right off the Neos.
      They will all settle and stabilize a bit less.
      YMMV,
      T
      Last edited by big_teee; 05-15-2014, 11:02 PM.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Instead of starting a new thread I'll use this one.
        Asking everyone that is interested in pickup gauss to measure some of their pickups.
        I'm interested in what the pickup measures at the top of the pickup.
        If a humbucker list the gauss at the top of the screws and cover.
        Strat and Tele pickups are more predictable, because the magnets go all the way through the bobbin to the top.
        Humbuckers,P90s, steel blade pickups, and sidewinders are not as predictable, because the magnets are usually on the bottom of the pickup.
        For example I measured PAF type humbucker with a cover, and the screws were in the 150 gauss range.
        I don't have a P90, but the gauss should be much stronger, due to the two magnets head to head polarity.
        One of my bass Sidewinders has a gauss at the center blade at over 1300.
        So there is a large difference in gauss and pickup designs.
        Thanks for participation in advance!
        T
        Terry

Comment

I found a list from Kevin of Guitarforce pickups and amended it with my own findings. These are bar magnets measured along the edge of the magnet with a Spin Doctor ER;

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t37038/
          Sigil Pickups ~ Stunt Monkey Pedals

Comment

Thanks, nice chart.
            What I'm really interested in is what the gauss is at the top of the pickup.
            Instead of at the magnet edge.
            T
            Terry

Comment

I've done some readings like that and noticed a lot of discrepancies, most likely due to the metal used in the slugs/screws so do most my readings directly on the magnet these days. Sounds liek an interesting project though.
              Sigil Pickups ~ Stunt Monkey Pedals

Comment

Like I said if anyone wants to measure any pickups at the top and list the results, I would like to see them.
                Thanks,
                T
                Last edited by big_teee; 11-11-2014, 06:33 PM.
                Terry

Comment

No helpful information from me... but I bet some of the smart fellers around here (e.g. the ones who play with FEMM for the fun of it) could provide some insight about your findings.

Regarding the lower readings for thicker blades: Mumble, mumble, something to do with saturation (said while waving hands and shrugging)?
                  Both blades are the same height and steel grade (1010, 1030 mild, 416, 430 stainless, whatever), yes?

I don't have a gauss meter, but here's a little experiment I'd like to see someone try:
                  Lay a .200 thick C8 magnet on the table, with a 1/16 inch steel blade on either side.
                  With the bottom of both blades touching the table, measure the top of each blade.
                  Now stack 2 30-mil thick plastic ID cards as a .06" shim under one blade and measure both blades again.
                  Now use 3 cards for a .09" shim and measure again.
                  Is there any significant difference in measurements?

Have fun,
                  -rb
                  Last edited by rjb; 11-11-2014, 03:03 PM. Reason: Changed shim thicknesses
                  DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

I wasn't wanting debate, just gauss measurements at the tops of pickups, that sound good.
                    The Gauss readings speak for themselves.
                    I'm going to experiment some more when I get time, with my own pickups.
                    Also going to try different magnets with the guitar sized sidewinder.
                    Is the table supposed to be metal, you didn't specify?
                    If it is not metal, don't thing there would be much difference.
                    T
                    Last edited by big_teee; 11-11-2014, 05:35 AM.
                    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                      I wasn't wanting debate, just gauss measurements at the tops of pickups, that sound good.
                      The Gauss readings speak for themselves.
                      I'm not looking for debate either.
                      I just thought some of the folks in this part of the woods could explain the physical reasons for your experimental results.
                      Then, in designing new pickups, it might be easier to guesstimate what materials to use for a desired result.

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                      Is the table supposed to be metal, you didn't specify?
                      If it is not metal, don't thing there would be much difference.
                      Oops, I was assuming a wooden table.
                      I'm wondering how much changing the contact area between the magnet and the blade effects the top gauss.
                      I think there wouldn't be much difference- but I don't know there wouldn't be much difference.
                      I have a real (but not very important) reason for wondering, and if I had a Gauss meter I'd see for myself.
                      But my reason doesn't warrant building or buying a Gauss meter..... Oh, well.

-rb

PS- Post #9 Edit: Changed the shim thicknesses to make the experiment easier.
                      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

I don't think a wooden table would have any effect.
                        A steel cabinet, or steel table would.
                        Last edited by big_teee; 11-11-2014, 06:34 PM.
                        Terry

Comment

Working...
                        X