Linux Mint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Mint

The Long awaited Linux Mint 17RC (Release Candidate) was released today.
    It can be downloaded from DistroWatch.
    Development Release: Linux Mint 17 RC (DistroWatch.com News)
    Or from a Mint Mirror.
    LinuxMint - ISOs and torrent downloads
    The RC version will be to check out bugs, and issues, and the official version should be out by the end of May.
    Hopefully the new 17 version will have the latest Kernel, to address the drivers needed for new Hardware.
    Also 17 should address the Secure boot issues to load easily on Windows 8 computers.
    I'm downloading the 17RC now., and I will report back on it once I do some testing with it.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

I loaded the mint 17 on my new Toshiba Laptop I bought a few months back.
    Mint 17 is the first mint issue to support my newer hardware, and the new uefi secure boot.
    It is great to finally have mint installed, so much more user friendly than all the Ubuntus, however I did get pretty good with xubuntu.
    I left the xubuntu, ubuntu studio, and now have the addition of Mint.
    Mint will boot by default, cause it is the last one loaded, and that makes this one a triple boot machine.!
    I do dig my Linux!
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

I've been using Linux for over a decade now. If you go with a popular distribution you're always in a good place. Actually, even windows is good these days. Anyhow, I have an install CD with Mint but haven't gotten to it yet.
      In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by überfuzz View Post
        I've been using Linux for over a decade now. If you go with a popular distribution you're always in a good place. Actually, even windows is good these days. Anyhow, I have an install CD with Mint but haven't gotten to it yet.
        Good deal on the decade.
        I have been messing with Linux since the late 90s.
        Redhat and Mandrake were my first attempts at linux.
        The Driver issues were not good in those days.
        Now days, I only mess with Distros that are a derivative of Debian.
        Debian, Ubuntu, mint, and many more Ubuntu types, all use the Apt-get Commands for package management.
        Makes my life much simpler.
        I have gotten pretty good at most desktops.
        Mate, KDE, Cinnamon, Xfce, Gnome, and more.
        On the CD, and DVDs, I don't do them hardly ever anymore.
        I Write the Images to USBs, much cheaper, and faster.
        Good to see some Linux activity on here.
        Help me promote Linux, I love Gnu, and You probably know my opinion of WinDozz!
        I will play nice, so I don't give the bill gates Fans, Gas!
        T
        Last edited by big_teee; 05-16-2014, 11:13 PM.
        Terry

Comment

So do you always install the recommended updates? I've been using Mint for a couple of months now, and always install the updates even though I have no clue what they are for.
          Vote like your future depends on it.

Comment

Originally posted by dmartn149 View Post
            So do you always install the recommended updates? I've been using Mint for a couple of months now, and always install the updates even though I have no clue what they are for.
            Yes I do the updates, but not always everyday.
            I do it manually.
            I turn the auto updater off, because it consumes some resources.
            I run it manually with these two commands, from the Console Terminal.
            sudo apt-get update
            when that finishes, then run this one
            sudo apt-get upgrade
            The update command finds the available updates, and the upgrade command installs them.
            GL,
            T
            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
              I run it manually with these two commands, from the Console Terminal.
              To all readers, almost all Linux distribution has a maintains software that does this for you. This is very handy, these software take care of your computer very nicely.

Edit
              I shoulc write more i think... Finding programs in Linux is really easy. Use your maintains software's search function. If you find anything you like, click it and lean back. All dependencies, conflicts etc is taken care of for you. Maybe most important to all Windoze users, NO virus.

Comment

To all readers, almost all Linux distribution has a maintains software that does this for you. This is very handy, these software take care of your computer very nicely.

Edit
                I shoulc write more i think... Finding programs in Linux is really easy. Use your maintains software's search function. If you find anything you like, click it and lean back. All dependencies, conflicts etc is taken care of for you. Maybe most important to all Windoze users, NO virus.
                Yeah, I don't use the terminal. The software manager is so easy. Like you say, find what you like and click.
                Free too!

Comment

I didn't use the terminal much either at first.
                  Linux has most of the Gui stuff, is point and click, like you say.
                  Using command line lets you get more of a feel of what Linux does.
                  You will get much faster with it as you go along, if you try to use it some along.
                  The main advantage is you can turn some of the time robbing auto programs off.
                  You can also get literate with Unix commands at the same time.
                  This page at DistroWatch shows some of the Package management commands.
                  DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.
                  Some other time saving things are
                  Alt + F2 brings up the Run command.
                  You can type your known program.
                  Alt + F1 on some distros brings up the Menu.
                  Control +Alt+Backspace on some distros, takes you back to the login page.
                  On the Console terminal.
                  Some useful tips.
                  $ uname -r Lists the current Kernel on your system
                  $ ls -l lists current home directory
                  $ sudo fdisk -l lists what is mounted on your system if using a dos partition table system
                  $ sudo parted -l lists what is mounted on a GPT partition table system
                  When I fire up or load a new system, I always load some of the same programs.
                  I just install them with command line, and is very fast and I don't have to wait on the time robbing GUI.
                  Example I install these.
                  first I type at the $ on command line
                  $ sudo su That allows you to go to super user, an you will be logged in as Route #
                  Then I install these
                  # apt-get install gparted that installs gparted partition tool
                  # apt-get install mc that installs midnight commander file manager
                  # apt-get install aisleriot that installs my card games
                  # apt-get install Opera that installs my Opera browser
                  # apt-get install galculator the install for the IMO the worlds greatest Calculator
                  # apt-get install unetbootin USB writer
                  There are some more as time goes on, but those are the first ones I install.
                  If you are looking for programs, you can search for them if you know part of the name.
                  for gparted you would type this.
                  # apt-cache search gparted, or # apt-cache search gpart
                  and it would come back with all programs similar.
                  If you're saying that this is not necessary, you're right, but it is quick and easy for me, and just showing an example of the different ways to use Linux.
                  Have fun with it that is the important thing.
                  And, Never Forget, It's all Free! What's not to like?
                  GNU Forever!
                  T
                  Edit ** If you are a Windoz User learning Linux, by all means use the GUIs and Load the things the easy way.
                  If you are, or trying to be a more advanced Linux user, then maybe some of the things I listed will help get you there!
                  Last edited by big_teee; 05-17-2014, 03:30 PM.
                  Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                    I didn't use the terminal much either at first.
                    Linux has most of the Gui stuff, is point and click, like you say.
                    Using command line lets you get more of a feel of what Linux does.
                    You will get much faster with it as you go along, if you try to use it some along.
                    The main advantage is you can turn some of the time robbing auto programs off.
                    You can also get literate with Unix commands at the same time.
                    This page at DistroWatch shows some of the Package management commands.
                    DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.
                    Some other time saving things are
                    Alt + F2 brings up the Run command.
                    You can type your known program.
                    Alt + F1 on some distros brings up the Menu.
                    Control +Alt+Backspace on some distros, takes you back to the login page.
                    On the Console terminal.
                    Some useful tips.
                    $ uname -r Lists the current Kernel on your system
                    $ ls -l lists current home directory
                    $ sudo fdisk -l lists what is mounted on your system if using a dos partition table system
                    $ sudo parted -l lists what is mounted on a GPT partition table system
                    When I fire up or load a new system, I always load some of the same programs.
                    I just install them with command line, and is very fast and I don't have to wait on the time robbing GUI.
                    Example I install these.
                    first I type at the $ on command line
                    $ sudo su That allows you to go to super user, an you will be logged in as Route #
                    Then I install these
                    # apt-get install gparted that installs gparted partition tool
                    # apt-get install mc that installs midnight commander file manager
                    # apt-get install aisleriot that installs my card games
                    # apt-get install Opera that installs my Opera browser
                    # apt-get install galculator the install for the IMO the worlds greatest Calculator
                    # apt-get install unetbootin USB writer
                    There are some more as time goes on, but those are the first ones I install.
                    If you are looking for programs, you can search for them if you know part of the name.
                    for gparted you would type this.
                    # apt-cache search gparted, or # apt-cache search gpart
                    and it would come back with all programs similar.
                    If you're saying that this is not necessary, you're right, but it is quick and easy for me, and just showing an example of the different ways to use Linux.
                    Have fun with it that is the important thing.
                    And, Never Forget, It's all Free! What's not to like?
                    GNU Forever!
                    T
                    Edit ** If you are a Windoz User learning Linux, by all means use the GUIs and Load the things the easy way.
                    If you are, or trying to be a more advanced Linux user, then maybe some of the things I listed will help get you there!
                    Sorry to say dude, but this is the reason people not using Linux. They think they must, should, would, etc, use the terminal to maintain the OS. Instead of realising that most Linux distributions offers the easiest one click user interface there is. People like you and me might like the terminal for more reasons then you list here, but the common user will never did that &%¤#. ;-)

[Free Quote Linus Torvals "We wanted to be the biggest OS on PCs. Now we're the biggest on every system but PCs".

Comment

Sorry to say dude, but this is the reason people not using Linux. They think they must, should, would, etc, use the terminal to maintain the OS. Instead of realising that most Linux distributions offers the easiest one click user interface there is. People like you and me might like the terminal for more reasons then you list here, but the common user will never did that &%¤#. ;-)

[Free Quote Linus Torvals "We wanted to be the biggest OS on PCs. Now we're the biggest on every system but PCs".
                      You're missing the point, there is room on linux for all of it.
                      I said that throughout the post.
                      Most linux users have some of that DIY urge, if not they will never leave Windows in the first place.
                      One reason Linux has trouble getting a Foot Hold on the PC market is MicroSuck Windoz Comes preloaded on every PC Sold.
                      Most, will never deviate from the factory preloaded OS.
                      It is all about choices.
                      Most linux users start building and braching out.
                      I was just like you, at first.
                      I never got off the GUIs.
                      You also ignored my reasoning why I do these things.
                      It is quicker and faster for me, and turning off some resource robbing auto programs speeds up My machine.
                      Speed and quickness is paramount to me.
                      If you load lots of systems, and beat on enough problems, you will find not everything can be done from GUIs.
                      Like Amps, Most guys world wide plug the chord into the amp and play.
                      On here most guys are Knee deep in the amp working on it.
                      I wasn't trying to argue, just pointing out there are all levels of linux.
                      After all the MEF is a Technical Forum!
                      I started this thread to discuss Mint, all phases, & Facets of it, the simple and the complex sides of it!
                      UberFuzz Do it the way you want to. I do!
                      I am glad, and available to help Linux Users at whatever level they want to use it.
                      T
                      Last edited by big_teee; 05-19-2014, 11:20 PM.
                      Terry

Comment

I've heard of the Denver mint and the Philadelphia mint but have never seen any coins from the Linux mint.
                        The Blue Guitar
                        www.blueguitar.org
                        Some recordings:
                        https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
                          I've heard of the Denver mint and the Philadelphia mint but have never seen any coins from the Linux mint.
                          Cute!
                          So would money made at the linux mint have the picture of the Penguin, instead of Ben Franklin on it?
                          BTW: Here it is, in case your looking for it.
                          http://www.linuxmint.com/
                          Last edited by big_teee; 05-19-2014, 06:00 PM.
                          Terry

Comment

Every time I try something new with linux it puts a smile on my face.
                            This morning I wanted to scan some documents so that I could e mail them. I started my wireless printer/scanner then realized that I hadn't tried it since I installed the Mint OS. I figured it was going to be a bit of an ordeal if it could be done at all. I did a quick Bing search "scan on Linux" found Simple Scan, checked my Software Manager and found that I already had it, opened it up, pushed "scan" I was done.
                            Easy Easy Easy

Comment

One of Linux Mint's great Assets is how all of their programs really do work.
                              You can't say that about all of the other Linux Distros out there.
                              T
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X