No announcement yet.

Linux Mint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was actually easier than the Windows software that came with the printer.
    Vote like your future depends on it.

Comment

Linux Mint 17 Official, Came out Last week.
      It runs great, seems to be a bit faster than 16, and has a few subtle changes.
      It can be downloaded here at distrowatch.
      Distribution Release: Linux Mint 17 (DistroWatch.com News)
      Other versions can be downloaded at this mirror.
      LinuxMint - ISOs and torrent downloads
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

There is a free Antivirus available for Linux.
        It is called ClamAV.
        There is a GUI to run it called ClamTK.
        So to run it download it from the software manager.
        Then once you have those loaded, if you use Firefox, you can load the ad-on Fireclam.
        Once Fireclam is loaded, it should catch any virus that is on a download, automatically.
        To test the Fireclam feature just download the testfile from here.
        http://www.hanckmann.net/?q=node/59
        Just hit the download here button on the middle of the page.
        If it doesn't work, you may have to do some additional setup.
        My main concern with linux and viruses is not catching the virus, but passing the virus to someone else.
        So to recap:
        1. download clamav (AV software)
        2. download clamtk (the GUI)
        3. install the fireclam Ad-on to firefox
        4. download the testfile to test fireclam, from firefox
        http://www.hanckmann.net/?q=node/59
        if it doesn't work report back.
        Or follow datfile update procedures($ sudo freshclam)

T
        ** There is also a free clamav version available for windows.
        Also a free clamtk for windows which is the GUI scan ap for windows.
        There is a free fireclam for the Windows version of Firefox
        Last edited by big_teee; 06-10-2014, 05:16 PM.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

I've been tinkering with Linux since about 1999 or so. Started out with Mandrake 8, then 9, never did get 10 to run probably a bad download. That sucked on dial up so I didn't try it again...

Since then I've kept using Mandrake 9 for a long time but that machine is in storage right now, I use a couple of Linux live CDs though. Mostly Puppy, which is the one I usually recommend for people who want to take a look at Linux. Puppy runs great, runs entirely in RAM, and is very easy to use. HAs plenty software to do whatever most people want, which is usually get online...but it has office programs, image editors, a pretty good list of software.

I've also used Feather, Knoppix, Damn Small, Ubuntu and an astronomy related live CD called Cloudy Skies. Never tried Mint but have been considering it, for now though I'm sticking to live CDs since I don't want to commit my main laptop to Linux. It runs win7 pretty well and has thousands of pictures on it. (I've been a photographer for 30 years, probably have at least 75GB drive space tied up in photos)

Knoppix, if they are still around, has a good live CD too, it's the one I gave people for several years to check out Linux, guess I need to see if they are still around and get a newer copy, my old one won't run on this machine.

Right now just started tinkering with the newest Puppy, called Slacko, and it looks pretty good but I've only used it a couple of times. Got online with it a few days ago with no problem, it picked up my wireless at a neighbor's house with no issues at all. Might check out Mint, but if it's not as light and fast as Puppy I'll probably not be changing...
          Why do I drive way out here to view the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

My Photography - http://billy-griffis-jr.artistwebsites.com/

Comment

I used Mandrake, and then it changed to mandriva, I ran it for a while.
            Now I run all the different Ubuntu based systems based on Debian.
            My two favorite is Mint, and Xubuntu.
            They both work great live on USB.
            I do all my pictures with Mint.
            I have mint 16 on my main Picture computer.
            I have it dual boot, Mint 16, and Xubuntu 14.04.
            I mainly use the xubuntu for web surfing, it is so fast.
            If you are running brand new computers, like a new laptop, the ubuntus are hard to beat.
            Some of your systems want work on my new laptops, cause they require a 3.12 or above kernel to provide the drivers required.
            I still have windows saved on one laptop. I've not used it since I pulled it nearly 2 years ago.
            My laptop on my desk has 4 linux on it.
            I have Mint 17, ubuntu gnome, xubuntu, and ubuntu Studio all loaded, mainly just use the mint 17.
            GL,
            T
            Last edited by big_teee; 06-11-2014, 03:20 PM.
            Terry

Comment

big teee - If you haven't, you might check out the latest Puppy, called Slacko. Based on Slackware, runs entirely in RAM from either CD or USB drive. Works on my Toshiba laptop just fine, about 2 years old. Maybe 3. Newer machines get the PAE version, older ones try the non PAE. I don't know the difference, haven't been keeping up. ( I built and repaired computers for over 10 years but got out of it) but since it runs in RAM, it's very fast. Always liked Puppy and Knoppix, Ubuntu is pretty good too but runs on CD not RAM if you don't install it so programs don't open quite as fast, but run fine once loaded. But for a live CD Puppy is hard to beat. Puppy and Knoppix are both pretty good for introducing people to Linux too. I don't know how many Knoppix CD's I burned and gave people a few years ago when they got frustrated with XP...

I think they have a Puppy based on Debian too if I remember correctly.
              Why do I drive way out here to view the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

My Photography - http://billy-griffis-jr.artistwebsites.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Paleo Pete View Post
                big teee - If you haven't, you might check out the latest Puppy, called Slacko. Based on Slackware, runs entirely in RAM from either CD or USB drive. Works on my Toshiba laptop just fine, about 2 years old. Maybe 3. Newer machines get the PAE version, older ones try the non PAE. I don't know the difference, haven't been keeping up. ( I built and repaired computers for over 10 years but got out of it) but since it runs in RAM, it's very fast. Always liked Puppy and Knoppix, Ubuntu is pretty good too but runs on CD not RAM if you don't install it so programs don't open quite as fast, but run fine once loaded. But for a live CD Puppy is hard to beat. Puppy and Knoppix are both pretty good for introducing people to Linux too. I don't know how many Knoppix CD's I burned and gave people a few years ago when they got frustrated with XP...

I think they have a Puppy based on Debian too if I remember correctly.
                I will try it.
                Not any reason to run a linux in ram, when I have it all loaded on the hard drives.
                This Lenovo is a dual boot linux, mint and xubuntu, no Windows.
                my Toshiba has 3 Linux Distros on it, xubuntu, mint 17, ubuntu studio, no Windows.
                Try mint 17, and Xubuntu, they work great!
                T
                ** Puppy will probably run on the lenovo.
                It will probably not work on the Toshiba ,or my wife's new HP.
                They both require a linux with 3.12 or higher kernel.
                None of the Puppy's have that late of kernel.
                Last edited by big_teee; 06-18-2014, 09:09 PM.
                Terry

Comment

Mint 17 official, now comes in four flavors.
                  Mint 17 Mate Desktop
                  Mint 17 Cinnamon Desktop
                  Mint 17 KDE Desktop
                  Mint 17 XFCE Desktop
                  They can all be downloaded from here.
                  Download - Linux Mint
                  Or, from this mirror.
                  LinuxMint - ISOs and torrent downloads
                  GL,
                  T
                  Terry

Comment

This is what my $300 Toshiba laptop E/W a 500GB Hard drive looks like formatted for GPT, with the 5 bootable Linux Distro's.
                    I have the following partitions setup. At Bootup I go to the grub loader menu and select the Distro of choice.
                    I have it setup after 10 seconds, if I don't pick one, it will load Mint 17 XFCE by default.
                    Just want to give ideas of how you can format Hard drives for Linux.
                    Partition
                    1. Fat32 Boot/efi
                    2. Mint 17 KDE
                    3. Ubuntu XFCE 14.10
                    4. Mint Mate 17
                    5. Mint XFCE 17
                    6. Mint Cinnamon 17
                    7. Storage (Files that can't be deleted when altering the 5 Distro's)
                    GL,
                    T
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2014-12-28 14:09:55.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	836293
                    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                      This is what my $300 Toshiba laptop E/W a 500GB Hard drive looks like formatted for GPT, with the 5 bootable Linux Distro's.
                      I have the following partitions setup. At Bootup I go to the grub loader menu and select the Distro of choice.
                      I have it setup after 10 seconds, if I don't pick one, it will load Mint 17 XFCE by default.
                      Just want to give ideas of how you can format Hard drives for Linux.
                      Partition
                      1. Fat32 Boot/efi
                      2. Mint 17 KDE
                      3. Ubuntu XFCE 14.10
                      4. Mint Mate 17
                      5. Mint XFCE 17
                      6. Mint Cinnamon 17
                      7. Storage (Files that can't be deleted when altering the 5 Distro's)
                      GL,
                      T
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]32068[/ATTACH]
                      I showed you one of mine, now show me yours!
                      Lots of different ways to partition and setup hard drives.
                      T
                      Last edited by big_teee; 12-31-2014, 02:53 PM.
                      Terry

Comment

Working...
                      X