LTE 4g etc modem access in the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LTE 4g etc modem access in the US

I have not been back for a while but was wondering if non-contract 4g LTE accounts are available for use with USB modems in the US now? I have a backup ADSL line but use a USB stick modem for 99% of my on-line access and always found it really frustrating to find internet access in the US unless as a coffee shop or some commercial wi-fi access point. For travelers, access without being tied into long term expensive contracts is about as poor as anywhere in the world. I can get a temporary phone number from AT&T but it is really expensive for data access or even calling, but only with an unlocked GSM phone, which luckily the rest of the world has almost universally.

My 4G LTE carrier recently upgraded their software and it makes a speed difference that is dramatic. Before, late at night I got 40mbs down and 20mbs up but now get 87 down and 26 down even in business daytime periods, for unlimited data, and internet TV which I do not use. That is about $34/month. Big difference from back when I had a T1 line to the house at $1500/month for the un-imagined speed of 1.5mbs in the early 90's. Just about any place I go in the world is really well connected now. I was on a bus heading to Finland this week and the bus had free wi-fi. The train I rode last time had wi-fi that was really fast, 100 miles from the nearest town. I see that trams also have access points here in St Petersburg now, trying to get more young people to ride the trams. There are 1500km of trams lines in the city and they hardly have riders unless over 60 y.o. so there is an effort to make them seem cool for a new audience.

They all have contracts, and they are all very overpriced.
    The rest of the world is way ahead of USA regarding price and speed of internet access. The USA is way behind.

USA providers limit the amount of data, and charge huge fees for over usage. It's a complete rip off. There is no justification for the prices they charge.

USA providers also lie about the bandwidth. You are lucky if you receive 1/10th of what they charge you for.

Yes, it sucks.
    And after you sign the contract, they screw you more, in ways you never imagined possible.

Internet in USA is no better than coffee-can telephones. (except that the wire is stapled) hahahahahahahahhaahhahhah!
    Last edited by soundguruman; 05-17-2014, 05:54 PM.

Comment

So did the Chinese design the USA phone and internet system?
      Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Working...
      X