My new pickup magnetizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new pickup magnetizer

Build this pickup magnetizer some time ago, able to magnetize to 24000 Amp/Turns, this thing rocks

Click image for larger version

Name:	10336844_554754707974749_8493346555608635626_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	868556

That looks very nice!
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by Claus H View Post
      Build this pickup magnetizer some time ago, able to magnetize to 24000 Amp/Turns, this thing rocks

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29078[/ATTACH]
      I covet.....
      Jack Briggs

sigpic
      www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by jack briggs View Post
        I covet.....
        Thanks guys
        Thinking about doing a full diy instructions, it's not that complicated a build, just the fact it's designed for Danish mains power (230VAC) With a variac..

We use it to magnetize our production pickups at hansen with great results, dialing in the just right amount of gauss

Comment

Thinking about doing a full diy instructions, it's not that complicated a build, just the fact it's designed for Danish mains power (230VAC) With a variac.
          Nice looking machine Claus! Thanks for letting us have a look. I think many of us would like to be enlightened with your diy instructions. Don't worry we can get 220-240 VAC in the USA even if it means we string a very long extension cord to Denmark. Also it may be easy enough to adapt to 120VAC power.
          This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Thinking about doing a full diy instructions, it's not that complicated a build, just the fact it's designed for Danish mains power (230VAC) With a variac.
            Is this a big coil powered by a full-wave rectifier bridge powered by the variac? If so, use of a slightly thicker diameter of wire (area of copper cross-section doubles) and use of the correct variac is all the adaptation needed.

One common dodge is to use two windings: In series, 220 Vac. In parallel, 120 Vac. But be sure to connect the coils such that the fields add.

Comment

Hi Claus

Yes please. A diy build would be great. No problem with the mains here in Austria.

Cheers

Andrew
              Thanks guys
              Thinking about doing a full diy instructions, it's not that complicated a build, just the fact it's designed for Danish mains power (230VAC) With a variac..

We use it to magnetize our production pickups at hansen with great results, dialing in the just right amount of gauss

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
                Is this a big coil powered by a full-wave rectifier bridge powered by the variac? If so, use of a slightly thicker diameter of wire (area of copper cross-section doubles) and use of the correct variac is all the adaptation needed.

One common dodge is to use two windings: In series, 220 Vac. In parallel, 120 Vac. But be sure to connect the coils such that the fields add.
                It's two coils wired in series, two coils of 4000 turns of 0.4mm wire, on a 150mm long, 25mm diameter, soft iron core, powered from a full-wave rectifier bridge of the variac, a few tricks to get the digital readout working. Schematic comming up.. It's all build into variac case..

Comment

Schematic and mechanical drawing please

Just curious: whatīs the frontal area of the bevelled adjustable ends of the yoke?

I hope itīs equivalent to (or smaller than) the 25 mm dia. rod area.

And, are you running 3A through those 0.4mm wires?

Rectified unfiltered 240VAC into thay coil which I calculate around 120 ohms would provide around 2A.

Adding supply caps would add some 50% more, if ripple is low.
                  Last edited by J M Fahey; 06-01-2014, 02:12 AM.
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I'm assuming it's not a capacitive discharge magnetizer and that you just turn it on and off quickly, right?

I had one like that at Alembic as our first...a home-brew unit; then we went to a big surplus capacitive discharge machine.

Love to build one like you show.

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                      Schematic and mechanical drawing please

Just curious: whatīs the frontal area of the bevelled adjustable ends of the yoke?

I hope itīs equivalent to (or smaller than) the 25 mm dia. rod area.

And, are you running 3A through those 0.4mm wires?

Rectified unfiltered 240VAC into thay coil which I calculate around 120 ohms would provide around 2A.

Adding supply caps would add some 50% more, if ripple is low.
                      Will be posting a mechanical drawing with mesurements, and yes i am running close to 3A through coil, my variac, can provide 270VAC, the resistance of the coils are 56 ohms, no supply caps are used, thinking about trying it but, it does provide enough power, to fully magnetize A5 rods and bars..
                      The frontal area of the bevelled ends are not calculated, but dimensioned to fit guitar pickup, but now you mention it, I will try some different sized "yokes"

Comment

it's not a capacitive discharge magnetizer, it's just turned on by a momentary switch, as long you push it, is ON

Comment

it's not a capacitive discharge magnetizer, it's just turned on by a momentary switch, as long you push it, is ON
                          How long till fire and brimstone?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
                            How long till fire and brimstone?
                            It does not heat up that much, had it running for 10 min at 220VAC without anything burning, you can magneticze magnets all day, as long as you don't hold down the switch continuously but you could build in a tempfuse in the coil..

Comment

Thanks.

I'm asking about practical details because I have already designed and built 2 speaker magnetizers which I have been using for the last 15 years and I'm starting on the third one,but it's always nice to see what others are doing.
                              Not much usable info available, by the way, so evry bit helps

And I also went the "brute force" path, no useful capacitors available in quantity here .

My first one is for up to 105 mm diameter ceramic magnets and uses rectified 220V @ 25 amperes and the larger one 3 x 380V rectified at 40A , good for 150mm magnets.
                              And now I'm building one for 190/220mm ones, to clone EV/JBL types but I'm stalled because have not yet decided on the power source.
                              Brute force needed is more than what I have available and don't have enough big caps so .....
                              Oh well.
                              If Life were easy it would be boring, isn't it?
                              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                              X